Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Water!!
Water pollution occurs when pollutants ( e.g. oil, chemicals and garbage) are released directly or indirectly into the water bodies without enough treatment to get rid of the dangerous compounds.
* Over 1 billion people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water. 5000 people die each day due to dirty drinking water.
* The fish get contaminated by the water pollution, and when we eat fish, we may as well be eating the contaminated fish, and contracting the diseases to ourselves.
* Around the world over 15 million children under the age of five, die each year because of diseases caused by drinking water.
* Plastic kills over 1 million seabirds, 100 000 sea mammals and sea turtles.
* Oil cannot dissolve in water, so it stays on top which forms a barrier, which can suffocate the fish and get caught in the feathers of marine birds which stops them from flying.
* Oil spills can be a very localized problem but can effect local marine wildlife very badly.
* 14 billion pounds of garbage is dumped into the ocean each year. Most of it is plastic.
* Approximately 46% of the lakes in America are too polluted for fishing, aquatic life, or swimming.
* Oil spills make up about 12% of the oil that enters the oceans. The rest come from shipping travels, drains, and dumping.
Since the water scarcity is spreading, there won't be enough for everyone. and even if we try to purify the contaminated water, the process will be very expensive. Since fishes/animals swim in the water, they can carry some disease so there will be a food shortage when the animals die.
Pollution affects animals because it destroys their habitats, and kills their food sources. Water Pollution can also cause algae which is toxic to life. Oil is another big issue that occurs in the oceans and lakes, over four tons of oil is spilled in to the oceans and lakes each year. It poisons the fish and plants. Did you know oil spills can harm plants and animals in two ways? First by the oil itself and second from the clean up operation. Since oil floats at the surface of the water the main animals that are harmed are the sea birds and sea otters.
Pollution affects the environment because it can destroy it. Just like any water, polluted water will also evaporate, which will start the creation of acid rain. Acid rain can take away all the soil nutrients that the trees and plants need to survive making them weak. It can also put aluminum into the soil and too much aluminum can also be dangerous because the trees can have a hard time collecting water. Acid rain also destroys leaves and seep into trees, which prevents photosynthesis from taking place and causing the tree to die.
What are the effects on
What are the effects on the environment?
What are the effects on humans?
By: Jennifer, Alisha, and Balpreet
Between 1000 and 3000 barrels of oil was spilled into the Red Deer River in central Alberta, a broken pipe has leaked crude oil into one of the provinces most important waterways.
In 2010, the deep water oil horizon spill took place, in the gulf of Mexico. It is considered the largest accidental marine oil spill and happened in the Atlantic ocean. The cause of the spill was a wellhead blowout and it took 11 lives.
"11 Facts About Pollution." Do Something. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Aquifer." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 29 Dec. 2013. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 26 Dec. 2013. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Factsrandomhistory.com." Factsrandomhistory.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"How Does Water Pollution Affect Animals?" How Does Water Pollution Affect Animals. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Dec. 2013.
"Important Facts and Tips on Water Pollution for Children." Important Facts and Tips on Water Pollution for Children. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Dec. 2013.
Nature.com. Nature Publishing Group, n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Oil Pollution « Water Pollution Guide." Oil Pollution « Water Pollution Guide. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Pollution Articles." How Does Water Pollution Affect Our Environment? N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
Rivers and Lakes. New York, NY: DK Pub., 2003. Print.
"Tracking Canada’s History of Oil Pipeline Spills." ActiveHistoryca RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"Water Pollution." YouTube. YouTube, 23 Feb. 2012. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
"What Is Water Pollution for Children." What Is Water Pollution for Children. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Dec. 2013.
In 2011, there was
a hydro one pipe
that oozed out
mineral oil in the
ground and water
in the beaches
After finally completing our assignment we have learned a lot about what we are doing to other humans and ourselves, the animals and wildlife around us and our home (the earth).
Acid rain comes from the clouds, but it is the water pollution which is causing it. When compounds and different mixtures like sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released into the air, they might meet and mix with water, oxygen and other chemicals which basically create acid rain.
Human activities are the main cause of acid rain. Factories with power plants release most of the sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, for when they burn fossil fuels, like coal, oil, and gas, to produce electricity. Also the pipe things on the back of your cars or trucks and buses also release sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the air, while you're driving.
>80% of diseases are *cholera *pathogens
caused by polluted water *typhoid *hookworms
These are some diseases. *diarrhea *roundworms