Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Teenage Depression/Self-Harm
- Some symptoms include sadness, hopelessness, irritability, anger, hostility, tearfulness/frequent crying and thoughts of death or suicide
- Some symptoms of self-harm in teenagers include scars such as burns or cuts, bruises, broken bones, having sharp objects with them at all times, wearing long sleeves or pants even in hot weather, and claiming to having frequent accidents or mishaps Symptoms of Depression/Self-Harm - Medication
- Talk Therapy (Psychotherapy)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Family Therapy Treatment: How to help yourself/others - Be available to talk. If you are never there for them, you won't be able to help them
- Encourage healthy escapes from the daily grind of school
- Build their confidence and self-esteem by remembering to praise them when they do something good
- Help them to keep things in perspective
- Show them positive aspects of any situation
- Be wary of negative roadblocks How to Help Teens Cope with stress - Long term sadness or constant stress is most commonly known as depression
- Approximately 4% of adolescents experience serious depression
- Self-harm is method that teenagers turn to when they feel hopeless
- Types of self-harm includes cutting, alcohol abuse, and drug abuse Activity: Balloon Burdens Using balloons to show how stressful it could be when one feels overwhelmed and then led to self-harm and depression. - Two volunteers are standing beside each other with one balloon in their hand
- Person reads a scenario that would add pressure and stress to one’s life, they will receive a balloon
- two people with struggle with carrying so many balloons (stresses) that they will crumble and lose control of the balloons THANK YOU FOR LISTENING Difference Between Teen Depression and Adult Depression? -Teens may actually spend more time with peer groups and rely on friendships
-Adults have a tendency to withdraw from friendships and usually want to be silent about their depression Causes of Depression/Self-Harm -Teens can develop feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy over their grades
-School performance, social status with peers, sexual orientation, or family life can each have a major effect on how a teen feels -Feel a sense of control over his or her body, feelings or life situations
-Communicate depression or distressful feelings to the outside world-Be punished for perceived faults Impact from the Media: "Cut for Bieber" -The "Cut for Bieber" incident was based around Justin Bieber's decision to smoke marijuana
-As a result, millions of fans on Twitter tweeted out pictures of themselves brutally cutting themselves as a message to Bieber to stop using the drug The Next Steps: Friends As a friend, what should you do in order to help someone you care about get help? -BREAK THE SILENCE! -Take the next steps yourself if necessary, saving lives are more important than losing friendships The Next Steps: Contact Information -Kids Help Phone -Distress Centre Peel 1 (905) 278 7208 -Trusted Adult, Chaplain
-Guidance Counsellors -National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800 273 TALK