Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Luxembourg
(or 58,070 euros) 2nd in the
world behind Qatar US: $46,400 1 Euro=1.34 US dollars Principle Languages Luxembourgish
(national) German French History Luxembourg became an independent state in 963 A.D. In 1815, the congress of Vienna made it a territory and gave it to William I, king of Netherlands. In 1839, the western part of Luxembourg was ceded to Belgium, but Luxembourg gained more independence. Full independence was attained on September 9, 1867. Luxembourg was occupied by Germany in both World Wars. In 1948, however, Luxembourg ended its neutrality by joining the Benelux Customs Union, a compromise of the countries of Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg, and by joining NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) in 1949. In 1999, Luxembourg joined the euro currency area. Attractions 1. The Chateau de Vianden- This castle dates back to 963 A.D.
2. The Casemates- A labyrinth of defensive passageways built in 1644 to help forge Luxembourg's good military reputation. 3. Valley of the Seven Castles- This is one of Europe's most scenic and spectacular concentration of castles. 4. The Grand Ducal Palace- Built between 1572 and 1574, this palace is home to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. 5. The Moselle Valley- This is Luxembourg's vineyard and winery region. Luxembourg's only casino is also located in this region. Josef "Josy" Henri Barthel Josef Barthel was a male olympic athlete. He was born on April 24, 1927 in Marmer, Luxemburg. He competed in the 800m, 1500m, and other mid-distance running events. He won olympic gold in the 1500m at the 1952 summer olympics in Finland. Along with the 1952 olympic games, he also participated in the 1948 and the 1956 olympics. Barthel died on July 7, 1992 in Luxembourg, Luxembourg. Fun Facts -Miami University (of Ohio) has a campus in Luxembourg -Luxembourg is smaller than the state of Rhode Island -The legal drinking age in Luxembourg is 17. 97% of the population is Roman Catholic (Gross Domestic Product) Cultural Tradition Feast of St. Blasius The feast of St. Blasius is celebrated on February 3rd. This feast is to celebrate the martyr St. Blasius. St. Blasius is the saint of throat and lung diseases. During this holiday, children carry rods tipped with little lights and sing the song of St. Blasius while going around begging for treats. The flag of Luxembourg was officially adopted on June 23, 1972. It is similar to the flag of the Netherlands, but the blue is a lighter shade on the flag of Luxembourg. The red, white, and blue were derived from the Grand Duke's coat of Arms which dates back to the 13th century. Famous Work of Art This painting by Josy Linkels illustrates the streets of Luxembourg.