Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Contingency Thinking - Business Leadership
Transcript of Contingency Thinking - Business Leadership
1. emphasize low job specialization
2. creativity rather than efficiency
3. freedom for workers to control their own behaviors 2 Organization Types the appropriate managerial techniques are highly dependent on the situation & the kind of task the organization is trying to accomplish. The contingency perspective can be used to explain why some factors influence situations in one setting but have virtually no influence in another setting. By: Samantha & Abdi 1. Mechanistic: a task that is routine and unchanging 2. Organic: a task that is non routine and changing When the task is routine and unchanging, the appropriate managerial approach is to:
1. emphasize efficiency
2. a high degree of specialization
3. elaborate procedures for maintaining control over behavior. Mechanistic Organic Paul Lawrence What is Contingency? Definition term:
a chance, accident, or possibility conditional on something uncertain
Example: He was prepared for every contingency. A contingency is an event that might happen. Josh Child & Jay Lorsch They identified contingencies such as:
1. environmental conditions
2. ownership patterns
5. & the importance in assessing
the appropriate approach to use
in a given situation. There is no "one best way"
to manage a certain situation or corporation. The manager has to identify which technique will, in a particular situation, best contribute to the attainment of organizational goals. For instance, under some circumstances, an authoritarian leadership style may be more appropriate than a leadership style that tries to get workers internally motivated. Thomas Burns G. M. Stalker & One of the first applications of contingency theory came from research conducted by these two British scholars By applying contingency theory to the study of management, you will be able to identify and solve problems under different situations.
You will recognize that the successful application of a technique in one situation does not guarantee success in another. The End Brief Background