Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Attention grabbers
A.K.A. The Attention Grabber What is it? Now your turn! Gotcha! A sentence or two used at the beginning of your essay to get the attention of your reader. Non- Examples Effective Hook Examples for
Expository Writing Effective Hook Examples for Persuasive Writing 1. 3-5 word effective sentence
2. Interesting question to the reader
3. Capture a feeling or emotion
4. Use a string of adjectives Example
Imagine opening your closet to find
something to wear to school, and all
you can find are khaki pants and
white shirts. Does that sound like a
nightmare? Well, for many public
students in America, it is a reality! >I am going to tell you about...
>Once upon a time...
>This essay is about...
>The assignment says I have to write about...
>Do you have a favorite ______? I do.
>Fire! Now that I have your attention...
(The hook must relate to the thesis). 1. Define the topic
4. Exciting Action Define the topic: A hero can be defined as a person celebrated for his/her strength, bravery or fearlessness used in a special achievement. Description: My stomach was tied in knots, and I could feel the sweat soaking through my t-shirt. Quote "Life is a dance. You learn as you go."
"It is not about whether you win or lose but how you play the game." Exciting Action: "Down, Set, Hike!" With only five seconds left in the game, the quarterback steps back and frantically looks down the field for and open receiver. 3-5 word Effective Sentence: She was free. There would be no homework tonight. Interesting question to the reader: What would Mike's work ethic be in the future if he was never required to do homework a single day while in school? Capture a feeling or emotion: You might be surprised to learn that some students don't do their homework because they think other students might think they are "soft." Use a string of adjectives: Tired, worn out, and stressed, Angela piled her books onto the kitchen table and began to do her homework. The Hook