Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Diabetes and glucose levels
Transcript of Diabetes and glucose levels
The purpose for my experiment was to test how much glucose is in different foods and drinks and then test how they affect a human subject. Which foods and drinks are best for diabetics to raise their blood sugar when it is too low? The best thing to raise blood sugar is Tiki Punch it has 43 grams of sugar and the worst thing is Laffy Taffy it has 2.69 grams of sugar. I tested 10 grams of different foods and drinks with a glucometer then tested them on a human subject. My experiment helps type one diabetic people because now they know what foods and drinks are good and bad for raising blood glucose levels.
I think that Mug Root Beer will be the best thing for someone who is a diabetic to drink if their blood sugar is too low. Mug Root Beer has a lot of sugar which will raise their blood sugar. They need sugar fast or else they can pass out.
10 paper cups
Glucose test strips
10 grams water (4 -10 gram water samples)
4 grams Glucose tablet (4 -4 grams glucose tablets)
10 grams pear (4 -10 gram pieces of pear)
10 grams Mug Root Beer (4 -10 gram liquid samples)
10 grams Tiki Punch (4 -10 gram liquid samples)
3 grams Circus Animal Cookie (4 -3 gram cookies)
2 grams Sour Patch Kid (4 -2 gram candies)
10 grams ripe banana (4 -10 gram ripe banana pieces)
10 grams unripe banana (4 -10 gram unripe banana pieces)
2 grams sour apple Laffy Taffy (4 -2 gram laffy taffy candies)
10 grams orange juice (4 -10 gram orange juice samples)
Ruler (optional for straight lines)
1. Get materials.
2. Put 10 paper cups out with the labels of the different foods and drinks.
3. Tare the weight of each paper cup.
4. Pour 10 grams of each liquid into its labeled cup.
5. For the fruits measure out 10 grams of each.
6. For the dry foods, add water to the substance until you have 10 grams total in the labeled cup. Let the foods dissolve for a while.
7. Take the glucometer and insert a test strip into the opening (1 strip per food or drink).
8. Put the strip in the food or drink for 1 second.
9. Record the mg/dL in your log book and convert to g/dL.
10. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for all foods and drinks.
1. Find a subject that is willing to prick themselves 60 times.
2. Put a test strip into the glucometer, prick their finger, and put their blood from their finger up to the strip.
3. Record their glucose level in log book.
4. Before each test insert a NEW glucose test strip into the glucometer.
5. Now have them eat or drink 4 grams of a test food/drink.
6. Test their blood glucose level again after 5 minutes.
7. Record their ending glucose level.
8. Repeat steps 1-7 for all of the foods and drinks.
Data and Graphs
Which foods and drinks are best for diabetics to raise their blood sugar when it is too low?
Diabetes and glucose levels
Real World Application
The purpose for my experiment was to test how much sugar (glucose) is in different foods and drinks and then test how they affect a human subject.
Trial 1 with a human subject
Trial 2 with a human subject
Trial 3 with a human subject
In the graph of how much glucose is in each food, the highest amount of glucose is in Tiki Punch soda. The lowest amount of glucose is water because water doesn't have any calories (It said error on the glucometer). In trial 1 the best thing to raise blood sugar is the Glucose Tablet. The worst thing is the sour apple Laffy Taffy. Trial 2: Best thing is the unripe banana. The worst thing is the Glucose Tablet and Mug Root Beer. Trial 3: The best thing is the Tiki Punch soda. The worst thing is the sour apple Laffy Taffy. I think that my data didn't have the same outcome each time because on trial 1 we had one glucometer and on trial 2 and 3 we had a different glucometer. The best thing to raise blood sugar is Tiki Punch. The worst thing is Laffy Taffy.
Glucose in different foods
My science fair project can help others in the future because it shows which foods and drinks are best to raise a person's blood glucose level because people with diabetes need sugar fast or else they can pass out.
I want to thank my mom for helping me do my experiment and my teacher, Ms. Pape, for allowing time in class to do the prezis.
Tiki Punch has the highest glucose level and water has the lowest glucose level. The best thing for a type 1 diabetic to eat/drink is Tiki Punch. The worst thing is the sour apple Laffy Taffy.
My hypothesis is that I thought that Mug Root Beer would be the best thing for someone who is a diabetic to drink if their blood sugar is too low. Mug Root Beer has a lot of sugar which will raise their blood sugar. They need sugar fast or else they can pass out. My hypothesis was not correct because Tiki Punch soda had the highest amount of glucose not Mug Root Beer. The relationship between my independent (amount of substance) and dependent variables (foods) are that they go together and they are the same each time (constants). I think that this science experiment was very successful because everything went smoothly. I think to improve my experiment I should only have one type of glucometer for all trials.
Eugene J. Barrett and Nora A. Barrett 2007. Diabetes. In World Book. Volume d-5, page 178. Chicago, IL encyclopedia World Book
Stephanie Watson 2011 Healthy Habits Vitamins and minerals getting the nutrients Your Body Needs New York, NY 10010 The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc.