Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Orientation 2017 Parent Session
Transcript of Orientation 2017 Parent Session
Successful First Year Experience
FY to SO Retention (4 yr private institutions)
National Average - 75.50%
Saint Joseph's University - 90.88% (2016)
6 Year Graduation Rates
(4 yr institutions w/ similar admit rates)
National Average - 59.7%
Saint Joseph's University - 79.6% (2016)
2016 Pre-Enrollment Survey Data
- 16.1%: I was able to do well in HS with minimal effort
- 92.0%: felt it somewhat or very likely to make Dean's List during the first semester (3.5 GPA)
- 32.4% actually made Dean's List
Study vs. Class Time
College = hard work...students choose to be here
In class: 15-18 hours per week
Reality: 20-25 hours of study time per week
Academic Advisor for a declared vs. undeclared major
Academic Advisor vs. the Advising Centers
Support Services on Campus
Office of Learning Resources
Career Development Center
Counseling & Psychological Services
Student Disability Services
Student Success & First Year Experience
Student Outreach and Support
Some Other Academic Points
Add/Drop (Sept. 5) vs. Withdrawal from a class (Oct. 27)
Taking 4 classes vs. 5 classes
Accommodations with Student Disability Services need to be renewed each year
Meeting People at College...
* 1,000+ Facebook friends but no one to eat lunch with
* Talk to people (limit Facebook, texting, etc.)
ex. cell phones in class, not meeting classmates
* Put yourself out there
* Keep making friends, don't limit yourself
* Video game console in the dorm room (not a great idea)
Checking In Survey (Class of 2020)
58% - Social transition was somewhat/very easy
76% - Somewhat/very successful at making friends
74% - Somewhat/very successful at adjusting to the social environment
Greek Life at SJU
* Recruitment takes place in the Spring semester
* 3 Fraternities and 5 Sororities to choose from
+ 221 men, 851 women (22% of undergrads)
* Minimum GPA - 2.5; minimum of 12 credits completed
Iñigo First Year Experience
+ Iñigo vs. In. I. Go.
+ Goal is to create a sense of belonging for all first year students
+ Day of Service, Retreats, 4 Halls (commuters included), Basketball game reception, etc.
* Emailed to the student "sju.edu" email address
* Students can assign access to Ebill through the New Hawks Portal
* Parent/Guardian email address
Opportunities to lower costs...
Apply to become an RA
Become "The Hawk"
An Unpaid tuition balance greater than $500 prevents students from registering for classes and receiving a transcript
Tuition Refund Schedule (20% reduction each week)
~applies to WD all classes or WD from SJU~
Before the end of Add/Drop (Sept. 5) = 100%
Each subsequent week = 20% less
After the 5th week = 0%
*Tuition insurance is available (www.sju.edu/bursar)*
FERPA - Parent Access to Information (Yes or No - students select)
Allows SJU employees the opportunity to talk with parents
(Notification Policy for students missing extended class time)
+Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
+Professors, Academic Advisor, Associate Dean, Advising Center, and Student are all notified
+Others as appropriate
No Car...No Privacy
HawkFest (September 22-24)
Showing you their "home away from home"
Fall Break (October 9-10) - Monday and Tuesday
Thanksgiving Break (Begins November 22nd)
Coming home to see their friends
Top 3 Takeaways from Today...
1) Encourage your student to get involved early at SJU
Activities Fair: Thursday, 8/31
Freshmen Day of Service: Saturday, 9/2
Spark Retreat: Friday-Sunday, 9/29-10/1 (Two overnights)
2) Have a conversation this summer to set expectations and get everyone on the same page
Don't forget to pick up your
3) We're all here to help your student succeed
When in doubt...
Overbrook train station
*Discount tickets available*