Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
meaning, scope and functions of Philosophy of Education
Transcript of meaning, scope and functions of Philosophy of Education
Branches of Philosophy
Meaning, Scope and Functions of Philosophy of Education
Functions of Philosophies of Education
Love of Wisdom
called himself as lover of wisdom
Speculative, Reflective, systematic
About the Universe and his relation to the universe
Philosophy of Education
Examines the definition, Goals and Meaning of Education
Promote a specific type or vision of education
Teacher's Guiding Principles
Principles on Student Learning
Role of Educators and Media
"Philosophical study of Education and its Problems....its central subject matter is education and its methods are those of philosophy"
:Reality and Existence
:Nature of knowledge and relation to Teaching and Learning
:Ethics and Aesthetic
Relationship of education and various area of national life and various components of the system of education.
Providing the educational planners, administrators and educators with the progressive vision to achieve educational development
Preparing the young generation to face the challenges of the modern time
Social commentators have given many labels to the present period of history, for some it is the information age
Theory of Knowledge
Concept of Philosophy of Education
Scope and Nature of Philosophy of Education
Relationship between Philosophy of Teaching and Teaching Styles
1) Aims and Ideals of Education Philosophy.
2) Interpretation of Human Nature.
3) Educational Values.
4)Theory Of Knowledge.
5) Relationship Of education and various areas of national life and various components of the system of education.
Scope Of Philosophy of Education
Aims and Ideals of Education Philosophy
education critically evaluates the different aims and ideals of education. Aims and ideals by various philosophers are;
character building, man making, education for all, equalizing educational opportunities, etc.
Interpretation of Human Nature
A philosophical picture of human nature is a result of the fact borrowed from all human science.
Value is a philosophical subject, it is abstract, integral and universal.
Philosophy of education critically evaluates the values and also systematizes them in a hierarchy.
Educational values are determined by philosophical values.
Philosophers derived it from their own views, outlooks and beliefs on the purpose of human life.
Education is related to knowledge. it is determined by the source, limits, criteria and means of knowledge.
* The provision of criteria for deciding the relationship of state and education, economic system and education, curriculum, etc.
* The criteria of judgment are determined by philosophy.
* Philosophy of education provides the criteria for evaluation and judgment.
Nature of Philosophy of Education
Philosophy of education is one of the areas of applied philosophy.
* Metaphysics literally means “beyond the physical.”
* Investigates principles of reality transcending those of particular science.
* Explains the fundamental nature of being and the world.
* Ask what kinds of things exist and what they are like.
* It studies knowledge.
* It asks basic question: what distinguishes true (adequate) knowledge from false (inadequate) knowledge?
* Forms one of the pillars of sciences of cognition.
* The first theories of knowledge stressed its absolute, permanent character, whereas the later theories put the emphasis on its relativity or situation-dependence, its continuous development or evolution, and its active interference with the world and its subjects and objects.
It explores aesthetics and ethics.
study of basic philosophical questions about art and beauty
the study of what makes actions right or wrong and how theories of right action can be applied to special moral problems.
* A philosopher considering whether people ought to give excess wealth to the poor is asking an ethical question. However, his investigations might lead him to wonder whether or not standards of right and wrong are built into the fabric of the universe, which is a metaphysical question.
* One view: philosophy of education comes under the umbrella of Axiology.
* As a branch of philosophy it utilizes philosophical methods for the solution of philosophical problems with a philosophical attitude to arrive at philosophical conclusion.
* Another thought: education needs to incorporate all modes of philosophical inquiry, metaphysical, Axiological and epistemological.
Functions of Philosophy of Education
Determining the Aims of Education
Educational philosophy gives different views of education this situation is not harmful rather it helps in providing education according to the need of the society
The difference in view of philosophy of education reflects the multiplicity and diversities of human life.
Philosophy of education guides the process of education by suggesting suitable aims from the diversities of life and selecting the means accordingly.
Harmonizing old and new traditions in the field of education
In the process of social development the old traditions are replaced with new traditions.
* This replacement is not smooth in fact it face a lot of opposition from certain orthodox sections of the society.
* At the same time it must be kept in mind that every 'old' is not outdated and every 'new' is not perfect
Co- ordination is needed between both the traditions in order to maintain the harmony
* Spencer has rightly pointed that only a true philosopher can give a practical shape to education.
* Philosophy of education provides the educational planners, administrators and educators with the right vision which guides them to attain the educational goals efficiently
For others it is post modernity
Present age is an age of Globalization
Philosophy of education is a guiding, steering and liberating force that helps young people and society at large to face the challenges of the modern time.
What is Philosophy of Education?
* Meaning of Life
* Nature of being human
* Life perspectives
* Comprehensive system of ideas about human nature and the nature of the reality we live in.
* It is considered as a mother of all the sciences.
* It is at the root of all knowledge.
CONCEPT OF PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION
* All human societies, past and present, have had a vested interest in education
* some have claimed that teaching is the second oldest profession
All societies channel provides sufficient resources into support for educational activities and institutions.
Children are born illiterate and ignorant of the norms and cultural achievements of the community or society.
Professional teachers and families helps children to read, write, calculate, and in culturally-appropriate ways with the aid of educational resources and available media and internet.
Best education equips individuals with the skills and substantive knowledge that allows them to define and to pursue their own goals, and also allows them to participate in the life of their community.
MEANING AND DEFINITION OF EDUCATION
* The word Education is derived from the Greek Word educere, educare and educatum which means “to learn”, to know and to “lead out”.
* It is a system in which society brings change.
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PHILOSOPHY OF TEACHING AND TEACHING STYLES
A teacher approaching education philosophically needs to answer four basic questions that guide the teaching learning process.
1.What is the nature of the learner?
2.What is the nature of subject matter?
3.How should one use the subject matter to guide students towards meaningful learning activities?
4.What behavior trend should one exhibit in order to carry out one‘s philosophical position?
Nature of the Learner
* The question about the nature of Learner, It will be defined in terms of extremes of the continuum by using the terms ―Lockean‖ (passive) and ―Platonic‖ (active)
* Lockean is a position because it was John Locke, in his Essay Concerning human understanding, who first wrote about mind, is a
* The learner was observed formed the true source of knowledge.
* “Platonic” image is that of a teacher who has so much respect for what the learner can contribute to the learning environment.
* Learners are viewed as the most important ingredient of the classroom environment
* The learners have the knowledge which is locked inside them which is released through interaction.
* The term “Amorphous” label has been reserved for rote learning, which emphasizes that each item to be learned.
* Learner are not encouraged to find relationships among items to be learned.
* Subject matter should be viewed as having a natural structure which can help to explain relationships among its components and which can be used to find new information.
* Learning activities is useful to explain the subject matter. In such situations the teachers‘ role is to help students think critically.
* Activities give opportunities to the students to have hands on experiences.
* Meaning comes through empirically proven facts.
* Reality is made up of natural laws, facts.
* The idea that reality is what it is and possesses an independent identity, regardless of the beliefs of the observer.
* We perceive the actually existing physical world.
* Pragmatism is the philosophy that encourages people to find processes that work in order to achieve their desired ends.
* Reality is that everything changes. (Theme: the world is constantly changing and we have to adapt)
* They are action-oriented, experientially grounded, and will generally pose questions.
Idealism is a philosophical approach that has as its central tenet that ideas are the only true reality, the only thing worth knowing. In a search for truth, beauty, and justice that is enduring and everlasting, the focus is on conscious reasoning in the mind.
The nature of reality for Existentialists is subjective, and lies within the individual. The focus is on freedom, the development of authentic individuals, as we make meaning of our lives.