Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn: An Elegant Spirit
by Sean Hepburn Ferrer
Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn
by Donald Spoto
Born Audrey Kathleen Ruston in
May 4, 1929
My mother temporarily changed my name to
Edda Van Heemstra
to protect me during the war. Her name was Ella. Documents were handwritten and changing two l's to d's would allow me to carry the documents outside the house if needed. She would also change her birth year of 1900 to 1929.
During WWII, my father, Joseph Victor Anthony Ruston, discovered documents revealing that some of his ancestors bore the name Hepburn. This caused me to legally change my name to
Where the Road Took Me
I moved a lot as a child because of the war and my father left us.
I died January 20, 1993
After my trip with Robby Wolders to Somalia in 1992, I began to have stomach pains. I had
that grew slowly in a span of five years from my appendix.
My Later Life
I spent the last 12 years of my life traveling to third world countries with my sweetheart, Robby Wolders.
During one of my speeches that I would give to inform the world of the grave poverty that people were suffering in, I said
"Since the world existed, there has been injustice. But it is one world, the more so as it becomes smaller, more accessible. There is just no question that there is a moral obligation, for those who have, to
to those who have nothing."
I used to tell my son that we swore the Holocaust would never take place again, yet,
in Africa, the
Holocaust is alive and well
. The people of Africa suffered in a way parallel to those who suffered in the Holocaust. The were malnourished, masses would show up to camps in desperate and exhausted droves, and without many loved ones alive. However, watching the
hurt me even more.
I often said, "
Is there anything more important than a child?
Is there? Is there anything more important than the survival of our species? Is there another time in your life when love, care, tenderness, food, education, are more important than in childhood?"
(Maiden Name) : Ella Van Heemstra
and took care of my family after my father left. My mother believed in my dreams as much as I did. It takes a strong person to survive during a war. It takes a stronger person to be a mother during a war.
: Joseph Victor Anthony Ruston-Hepburn
My father was a man of no emotion. He
my family when I was six years old. I grew up thinking I did something wrong and could not be loved.
As a young adult, I stayed in Switzerland and Rome.
For the rest of my days, I lived in Switzerland.
My Best Friends
My Last Sweetheart
1) While in Somalia, a small blind girl was trying to get to the medical facility. The smile she once wore vanished when I tried to help. Her soul was silenced.
2) The Nazis invaded Holland, where I was living, in 1940. I learned Dutch to pass off as a Dutch girl. I lived under the constant fear of being taken by a German soldier for "entertainment."
3) One day in May while I was filming a small film a woman Colette discovered me. She wanted me to play Gigi on Broadway. This is considered major to me because
, I would have
t become the American actress I was. This would have caused me to have little, if any,
4) My heart shattered when my mother died in August 1984. "I was lost without my mother. She had been my sounding board, my conscience."
The Nun's Story
. I already felt like I could relate to her, but analyzing her strengths and weaknesses showed me what qualities of my own I wanted to enhance.
Screen Actors Guild Award
My Best Accomplishments
Luca and Sean