Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
"I thought my teacher fancied me"
Transcript of "I thought my teacher fancied me"
Step 2: The students read the article "I thought my teacher fancied me" in order to contrast the different teachers' reactions ( British vs. Bulgarian)
Step 3: The students did an interview ,for two British teachers working in Estonia, asking the same question: "What would you do if you received a love letter from a pupil?". The two teachers answered different things.
Step 4: The students, in small groups, discussed the possible reasons for the different opinions that the British teachers had.
Step 5: In the last step the students wrote an essay discussing the different modes of behavior in both cultures (English vs. Estonian) EVALUATION and RESULTS INTRODUCTION 1. It is based both on feedback from the students and the teacher's observation and reflection.
2. After reading the article:
- 10 % were curious
- 57 % were surprised by the teacher's reaction
- 10 % were shocked
- 13% showed disapproval of the teacher's reaction
- 10% were aware of the cultural difference and were not surprised
3. The students expected the teacher to talk with the girl and explain the situation.
4. They think that English teachers did not care about their student's feelings.
5. They also learned that individuals with the same culture do no necessarily behave according to the assumed cultural norms (interviews to English teachers)
6. The students opinion about the "problem":
- 75% understand and respect the cultural difference, but NEVER would behave that way.
- 25% would try to change the opinion of English teachers - A lesson designed to raise students’ awareness of cultural similarities and differences between school practices in a foreign country and their own.
-It aim at developing students’ tolerance of a cultural phenomenon.
- Language teaching becomes part of values education.
-Context of the investigation and participants. "I THOUGHT MY TEACHER FANCIED ME" Tanya Madjarova, Magdalena Botsmanova and Tanya Stamatova