Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Thomas Woodrow Wilson 3
Transcript of Thomas Woodrow Wilson 3
4. Military Action Against Pancho Villa
While Wilson was in office, Mexico was in a state of rebellion. Pancho Villa held much of northern Mexico.
1916: Villa killed seventeen Americans. Wilson responded by sending 6,000 troops under General John Pershing to the area.
5. World War I
He attempted to keep America out of the war
After the sinking of the Lusitania, continued run-ins with German submarines, and the release of the Zimmerman Telegram, America joined the allies in April, 1917.
Wilson's 14 Points
Thomas Woodrow Wilson 3
Federal Reserve Act (1913)
still part of today's system
United Nations developed
1. No more secret agreements ("Open covenants openly arrived at").
2. Free navigation of all seas.
3. An end to all economic barriers between countries.
4. Countries to reduce weapon numbers.
5. All decisions regarding the colonies should be impartial
6. The German Army is to be removed from Russia. Russia should be left to develop her own political set-up.
7. Belgium should be independent like before the war.
8. France should be fully liberated and allowed to recover Alsace-Lorraine
9. All Italians are to be allowed to live in Italy. Italy's borders are to "along clearly recognisable lines of nationality."
10. Self-determination should be allowed for all those living in Austria-Hungary.
11. Self-determination and guarantees of independence should be allowed for the Balkan states.
12. The Turkish people should be governed by the Turkish government. Non-Turks in the old Turkish Empire should govern themselves.
13. An independent Poland should be created which should have access to the sea.
14. A League of Nations should be set up to guarantee the political and territorial independence of all states.
Federal Reserve Act 1913
Federal Trade Commission Act
Clayton Anti Trust Act 1914
Federal Farm Loan Act
WWI in 1917
League of Nations
1. Ph.D. in Political Science
Wilson was the first president to receive a Ph.D.
2. New Freedom
Wilson's proposed reforms delivered during campaign speeches and promises made during the 1912 presidential campaign. There were three main tenets: tariff reform, business reform, and banking reform
3. Seventeenth Amendment Ratified
Provided for the direct election of senators.
Prior to its adoption, Senators were chosen by state legislatures.