Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
FOOTNOTE TO YOUTH
Transcript of FOOTNOTE TO YOUTH
It is all about a 17 year old man named Dodong who can’t wait to marry Teang. He was hesitant to tell it to his parents. But he ask permission to his father and then he allowed him. Then they've got married and lived together. Teang gave birth to Blas. Blas was not Dodong’s only child. More children came to them. Teang looks like shapeless and thin after all the responsibilities of a mother. She cried sometimes, wishing she had not married. Sometimes, she thinks that what if she marry Lucio,who is until now childless. Then one night the eighteen year old Blas also wants to marry Tona. Like what Dodong did when he was 17 was the one that Blas also did. Dodong allowed Blas to marry Tona but deep down inside he felt sad and sorry.
By: Jose Garcia Villa
Jose Garcia Villa
National artist for Literature. He won a prize of 1000 from the Philippines Free Press in 1929 for his story “Mir-i-nisa”.
He introduced the reversed consonance rime scheme, including the comma poems that made full use of the punctuation mark in an innovative, poetic way.
Villa's works have been collected into the following books: Footnote to Youth,Many Voices, Poems by Doveglion and Have Come Am Here which brought him fame, honors and fellowships.
Villa received the American academy of arts and Letter’s Poetry Award, the Shelley Memorial Award, the Guggenheim, Bollingen, and Rockfeller fellowships for poetry.
II. About the Author
: In a province “FARM”
: It is the time of planting season almost June to August.
- Dodong wants to marry Teang and ask his father’s permission.
2. Rising Action
- Thinking that they are still young, and their love would be short, Dodong’s father allowed them to be married.
- Dodong saw her wife in the “papag” with his firstborn child. He heard his baby’s cry named Blas that pierced him queerly. He could not control the swelling happiness in him and also felt embarrassed because he is not still ready to support a family. Then Dodong wanted to touch the baby and give him a sense of father’s touch.
4. Falling Action
- Teang secretly regretted being married at an early age, she wondered if she would have the same life if she marry Lucio, Dodong finally realized the hardships of marrying such an early age.
- Blas at age of 18 wanted to marry Tona, Dodong did not object, but tried to make Blas think twice before rushing to marriage, because Dodong doesn’t want Blas to end up like him.
Man vs. Himself
1. Dodong married at the age of 17.
2. Teang regrets marrying Dodong.
3. Lucio, after getting married to another girl, their still childless.
4. Their son Blas followed their footsteps, marrying his object of affection at a very young age of 18.
5. Tona, the girl that Blas wants to marry.
-“The sun was salmon and hazy in the west”
-“A short colorless worm marched blindly to Dodong’s foot…”
- In the cool sundown, Dodong thought wild young dreams of himself and Teayang. Teayang his girl. She had a small brown face and black eyes and straight glossy hair. How desirable she was to him. She made him dream even during the day.
- Teayang wondered about Lucio, her other suitor before, whom she had not chose because he is older than Dodong by nine years. She wondered what if she had married Lucio.
- “The sun was salmon and hazy in the west. Dodong thought to himself he would tell his father about Teang when he got home, after he had unhitched the carabao from the plow, and led it to its shed and fed it. He was hesitant about saying it but he wanted his father to know. What he had to say was of serious import, as it would mark a climacteric in his life.”
This phrase gives a hint that there is something fishy going on with Dodong and Teang. It was really something serious because he is problematic over how he intends to talk to his father about Teang, and going over the possible responses his father would give. What he might confess can break his father’s heart.
Point of View
- Third Person Omniscient
- “BEING RESPONSIBLE”
- “THE CONCEPT OF LIFE”
- “History repeats itself”
- Footnote to Youth talks about the youth as of today. It was written by Jose Garcia Villa in 1933. It is the basic story of marrying very young and questioning the wisdom of making life choices at a young age that must be lived with. It also shows that a father's wisdom is not always something you can base your life on. If you make a decision, even at a young age, sometimes you must live with the consequences.