Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of EU Enlargement and the Impact on the UK Economy
Transcript of Copy of EU Enlargement and the Impact on the UK Economy
Identify countries vying to join the EU
Understand advantages of enlargement to
Understand risks of enlargement to the UK
Extension – begin to apply these arguments
to a specific country’s characteristics
Candidates: Iceland, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey
Application submitted: Albania
Based on the previously discussed issues and
statistics, debate the motion:
Turkey joining the EU will benefit the
Extension – should the UK encourage the EU
to place certain conditions on Turkey’s
entry to the EU?
AQA A2 Economics: The National and International Economy
3.4.3 European Union Enlargement
Task: There are twenty eight member states of the EU - how many can you name?
Key Points for Analysis
To gain top grades it is vital to show depth of analysis and evaluation
Therefore does the EU enlargement debate depend upon the nature of the proposed new members?
Will some new members bring more advantages/risks than others?
Turkey: Key Statistics
11% growth in 2011
74.7 million population
Agriculture accounts for 24% employment
Other key industry sectors: banking, construction, electronics, oil refining, food, automotive
GDP per capita only 49% of EU average
Main imports from Russia, China and Germany
Literacy Rate: 96% men and 80.4% women (UK 99%)
Impressive labour productivity rates
15-64 year olds represent 67% of population
Less than 2% of population living below international poverty line
Let's consider the Cameron stance
vying to join the EU
of enlargement to the UK
Understand risks of
enlargement to the UK
Apply these arguments to specific
a specific country’s characteristics.
1. What potential advantages might the enlargement give the UK economy? (5 mins)
2. Extension – which of the proposed states might provide the greatest benefit to the UK economy?