Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Immigration During the Gilded Age (1800-1900)
Transcript of Immigration During the Gilded Age (1800-1900)
Getting Into The United States
The Asian Immigrants arrived at Angel island. Once they arrived, they were processed by government. They were given papers and had their names recorded. If they had certain diseases, they were sent back.
Reason for their migration (Pull Factors)
* Promise of Freedom
* Hope for new Life
* Land (homestead Act)
The New Immigrants
During the Gilded age, there was a wave of new immigrants, coming to America in large numbers from the places that they had not been coming from in the past.
There Journey Towards America
The Passengers probably be in steerage at the bottom of the ship unless they could pay money.
# Poor Living Conditions.
# Formation of Slums.
# Poor Sewage System.
Nativity - A policy of favoring native-born people over immigrants.
Seattle's Anti- Chinese roit
Robber Barons and Industrialist benefited from the immigrants.
Effects of their Migration
Results :- Negative & Positive
Increasing Gap Between the Rich and Poor.
Greatly affected the envirnomental factors
Asian immigrants kneely served as the railroad builders during the Gilded Age
*The Chinese avoided hostility by moving
into communities already dominated by
such as the Chinatown
section of San Francisco.
* The San Francisco school board ruled that all Chinese,Japaneses, and Korean children should attend a separate school in 1906.
* Gentlemen 's Agreement: In 1907 President Roosevelt reached an informal agreement with Japan under which that nation nearly halted the emigration of its people to the United States.
* Chinese immigrants accepted low wages, they affected the rates to pay of