Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Contemporary A Cappella: Getting Started
Transcript of Contemporary A Cappella: Getting Started
Why? Valuable Lessons
1. I want to recruit more singers to the program.
2. I want to introduce my students to competitions.
3. I want to stay current and relevant.
4. I like pop music.
5. I need a quick and easy way for students to do performances in the community.
6. I want a fun way to teach standards of arranging/composition
Let's get started!
Contemporary A Cappella
What does it take? Challenges...
Sharing the knowledge/control
Questioning what is legitimate
"Vocal Band" Sound
Who can help?
I, VI, IV, V
Making something out of nothing
Girl/Boy groups from 1980s-Present
Get them singing!
Give them ownership!
Allow them a safe space to be a rock star!
Watch them flourish!
Perform the repertoire.
Allow students to arrange.
Add harmonization to warm-ups/rehearsal.
Introduce final exam projects.
Open mic nights
What does a contemporary a cappella class look like?
New Specific Curriculum
Primarily Acappella http://www.singers.com/
Sound Music Publications
UNC Jazz Press http://www.uncjazzpress.com/
Contemporary A Cappella Society Links
JW Pepper (Alfred and Hal Leonard octavos)
Deke Sharon (Kirby Shaw of Contemporary Music)
Jen Shelton Barnes
You/your students as resources!
A Cappella Education Association
Acappella 101 http://www.acappella101.com/
Contemporary Acappella Society http://www.casa.org/
Primarily Acappella http://www.singers.com/index.html
Recorded Acappella Review Board http://www.rarb.org/
Alliance for Acappella Initiatives
Acappella records http://www.acappellarecords.com/
Professional/College/High School acappella web pages
A Cappella Education Association Festivals
ICCA and ICHSA
Harmony Sweepstakes Festivals
Garage Band (or similar)
Contemporary A Cappella Series
A Cappella Pop
Tunes to Teens - www.casa.org/TTT
All of these links will be available on
Anthony's Blog - http://www.musicteachertalk.wordpress.com
Dennis's Page - http://www.pwssd.k12.wi.us/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=655