Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Contemporary A Cappella: Getting Started
Transcript of Contemporary A Cappella: Getting Started
Why? Valuable Lessons
1. I want to recruit more singers to the program.
2. I want to introduce my students to competitions.
3. I want to stay current and relevant.
4. I like pop music.
5. I need a quick and easy way for students to do performances in the community.
6. I want a fun way to teach standards of arranging/composition
Let's get started!
Contemporary A Cappella
What does it take? Challenges...
Sharing the knowledge/control
Questioning what is legitimate
"Vocal Band" Sound
Who can help?
I, VI, IV, V
Making something out of nothing
Girl/Boy groups from 1980s-Present
Get them singing!
Give them ownership!
Allow them a safe space to be a rock star!
Watch them flourish!
Perform the repertoire.
Allow students to arrange.
Add harmonization to warm-ups/rehearsal.
Introduce final exam projects.
Open mic nights
What does a contemporary a cappella class look like?
New Specific Curriculum
Primarily Acappella http://www.singers.com/
Sound Music Publications
UNC Jazz Press http://www.uncjazzpress.com/
Contemporary A Cappella Society Links
JW Pepper (Alfred and Hal Leonard octavos)
Deke Sharon (Kirby Shaw of Contemporary Music)
Jen Shelton Barnes
You/your students as resources!
A Cappella Education Association
Acappella 101 http://www.acappella101.com/
Contemporary Acappella Society http://www.casa.org/
Primarily Acappella http://www.singers.com/index.html
Recorded Acappella Review Board http://www.rarb.org/
Alliance for Acappella Initiatives
Acappella records http://www.acappellarecords.com/
Professional/College/High School acappella web pages
A Cappella Education Association Festivals
ICCA and ICHSA
Harmony Sweepstakes Festivals
Garage Band (or similar)
Contemporary A Cappella Series
A Cappella Pop
Tunes to Teens - www.casa.org/TTT
All of these links will be available on
Anthony's Blog - http://www.musicteachertalk.wordpress.com
Dennis's Page - http://www.pwssd.k12.wi.us/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=655