Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Introduction to AP Biology
Transcript of Introduction to AP Biology
The AP Exam
1 through 5
The College Board
May 11th, 8:00 am
no penalties for guessing
50% of Final Grade
90 minutes for the MC section
10 minute reading time
80 minute writing period
2 long essay questions
3 Hours Long
50% of Final Grade
How much college credit is earned for each score level depends on the College/University
"To provide the maximum information about differences in students’ achievements in biology, the exams are intended to have average scores of about 50 percent of the maximum possible score for the multiple-choice section and for the free-response section. Thus, students should be aware that they may find these exams more difficult than most classroom exams." -AP Biology course description
How do I survive AP Biology?
AP GRADE QUALIFICATION
5 Extremely well qualified
4 Well qualified
2 Possibly qualified
1 No recommendation
Provides students with the opportunity to take college-level course work and exams while still in high school.
AP Biology should include the topics regularly covered in a college biology course for majors. The textbooks used for AP Biology should be those used by college biology majors and the labs done by AP students must be the equivalent of those done by college students.
This course is designed to be the equivalent of a college introductory biology course usually taken by biology majors during their first year.
Recommended Inquiry Labs
1. Artificial Selection
2. Mathematical Modeling: Hardy-Weinberg
3. Comparison of DNA Sequences Using BLAST
4. Diffusion and Osmosis
6. Cellular Respiration
7. Cell Division: Mitosis and Meiosis
8. Biotechnology: Bacterial Transformation
9. Biotechnology: Restriction Enzyme Analysis of DNA
10. Energy Dynamics in Ecosystems
12. Animal Behavior
13. Enzyme Catalysis
Same people that produce the SAT
High school, college, and university faculty
1. The process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life.
2. Biological systems utilize free energy and molecular building blocks to grow, to reproduce, and to maintain dynamic homeostasis.
3. Living systems store, retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes.
4. Biological systems interact, and these systems and their interactions possess complex properties.
AP Biology Content Areas
5. Membranes and Transport
6. Energy and Metabolism
9. DNA Structure and Function
10. Signal Transduction and Gene Expression
11. Genes and Development
12. Homeostasis and Physiology
AP Biology Science Process Skills
1. The student can use representations and models to communicate scientific phenomena and solve scientific problems
2. The student can use mathematics appropriately
3. The student can engage in scientific questioning to extend thinking or to guide investigations within the context of the AP course
4. The student can plan and implement data collection strategies appropriate to a particular scientific question
5. The student can perform data analysis and evaluation of evidence
6. The student can work with scientific explanations and theories
7. The student is able to connect and relate knowledge across various scales, concepts, and representations in and across domains
Part A: 63 Multiple Choice questions on content knowledge and process skills
Part B: 6 "grid-in" mathematics application questions
6 short essay questions
New and Improved!