Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Arts Education
"Art does not solve problems, but makes us aware of their existence"
- Sculptor Magdalena Abakanowicz
Power of Art
Art In Education
Although all extracurricular activities have been proven to give some sort of positive outcome when placed into education, (i.e. Social skills, study habits, higher grades, etc), it has been shown that arts education can improve the grades of students.
It is believed that this has something to do with the creativity involved in arts.
Schools kill Creativity
In Sir Ken Robinson's TedTalk "Do Schools kill Creativity?" he makes multiple points about how important creativity in education is.
In schools, we are forced to stuff our heads with old, already circulated knowledge, instead of creating new ideas, and theories. Education and how we live today has made it seem like the worst thing to possibly happen is to make a mistake. This puts a lot of fear into getting kids to try creating something new because they're afraid of being wrong.
My favourite point that he made was how arts are being put down compared to academics because "it can't get you anywhere".
In our education, getting a degree displays the highest level of intelligence. Getting a degree means getting a job, which means making money, which is what the main goal of our education is.
Because most people believe you can't make money off something that is non-academic, the arts are put last in comparison to things like Math or Languages.
This is why keeping Arts in Education is important.
It allows students to keep creativity in schools. This helps to keep their minds open.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there will ever be to know and understand."
- Albert Einstein
Besides, Art has it's Academic Benefits too
Benefits of Arts Education
1. Students who study art are 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement and 3 times more likely to be awarded for school attendance.
2. Arts and music education programs are mandatory in countries that rank consistently among the highest for math and science test scores, like Japan, Hungary, and the Netherlands.
3.Multiple studies have concluded that curricular and extracurricular art studies and activities help keep high-risk dropout students stay in school.
4.New brain research shows that not only does music improve skills in math and reading, but it promotes creativity, social development, personality adjustment, and self-worth.
Those are only a few arts that are included in Education. There are many more.
The importance of including arts in education is just as important as including Math or Humanities.
Especially since Art, Drama, or Music could be to one person, how Math or Languages is to you.
Why do you personally think Arts are important in education?
I want to know