Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Surveillance of learning
Transcript of Surveillance of learning
Attendance monitoring: students complete registers or swipe in
Assessment for attendance: oral presentations, in-class tests and quizzes timed at the beginning of class
Participation grading: students receive a class 'contribution' grade on basis of attendance and 'engagement'
E-surveillance: students contributions to online discussion forums are graded.
a critical analysis of university student
The University of Hong Kong
The Surveillance of Learning
SRHE Annual Conference 2012
Justifying the roll call
The surveillance of learning
Presenteeism: when you learn
Learnerism: how you learn
Globalism: what you learn
Accountability: stakeholder argument, compliance argument
learning community argument
Welfare: academic performance argument, student care argument
Work preparation: 'real world' argument, professional practice argument
Implications of presenteeism
* encourages a reductionist understanding of learning at university
* prioritises behavioural over intellectual development
* retards student capacity to make autonomous decisions
* restricts student academic freedom
Bentham's panopticon and Foucault