Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
AGSC & STARS - State Board of Education
Keith Sessionson 7 June 2013
Transcript of AGSC & STARS - State Board of Education
Provides recruiting information from usage reports
Forced each discipline to review the general studies requirements for their programs (found more commonality than what might have been expected) – it now encourages routine review of requirements
Encourages cooperation and teamwork between four-year and two-year institutions
Encourages students to complete their degrees in Alabama
Improves “Time to Graduation”
Reduces cost of duplication of courses Streamline course offerings
Reduced “Two-Year Common Course Directory” – major focus on AGSC Approved Courses
Improved retention rates
Improved advising process
Encourages cooperation and teamwork between two-year and four-year institutions
Allows students to complete equivalent of an A.S. degree before transferring
Reduces cost of duplication of courses Public Higher Education Governance Structure BACKGROUND
25 Community Colleges/Technical Colleges
(Marion Military Institute & ATN)
Governed by State Board of Education TWO YEAR COLLEGES FOUR YEAR UNIVERSITIES
14 Public Universities
Governed by Individual Boards of Trustees
or System Board of Trustees Issues and Complaints Late 80s & Early 90s 1. Loss of course credit upon transfer
a. Extra cost for students
b. Delay in graduation
2. Cost of duplication of courses
3. Phone calls/letters to state legislators THE ANSWER... Legislative Act
94-202 "Articulation Legislation" Created
the AGSC Expanded Role
of STARS 1 2
– Responsible for implementing AGSC Policy across state
– Maintains website through which students obtain AGSC approved transfer guides IMPACT Students who attend public two-year colleges in Alabama can use the STARS website to obtain an AGSC approved transfer guide in their chosen major. These transfer guides, if used correctly, guide students through their first two years of coursework and prevent the loss of credit hours upon transfer to the selected public four-year universities in Alabama. This can mean huge savings in both time and money! Transfer Students Advisors and counselors across the state can use the information provided on the STARS Transfer Guides to help students as they attempt to plan out their education process. In the past, each individual institution accepted different courses for the same major – ultimately, this led to misinformed and disgruntled students and parents. Advisors & Counselors Two-Year System IMPACTS... IMPACTS... IMPACTS... IMPACTS... Four-Year Institutions OVERALL IMPACT... IMPROVES TRANSFER PROCESS
IMPROVES ADVISING PROCESS
ENCOURAGES STUDENTS TO COMPLETE THEIR DEGREES IN ALABAMA
PROMOTES COOPERATION AND TEAMWORK AMONG 2-YR AND 4-YR INSTITUTIONS
REDUCES DUPLICATION OF COURSES
SAVES TAXPAYER DOLLARS HOW DOES THIS PROGRAM $AVE TAXPAYER
DOLLAR$? Since Fall of 1998, over 900,000 students have obtained STARS Transfer Guides. If each transfer guide printed prevents a student from taking one course that won’t transfer, one could conservatively estimate that the AGSC/STARS program has saved students and parents (state taxpayers) over $900 MILLION DOLLARS in tuition, books, room and board. If you have questions, comments or suggestions,
please contact the AGSC/STARS Office.
1-800-551-9716 ext. 3690
stars.troy.edu Articulation & General Studies Committee (AGSC) Statewide Transfer & Articulation Reporting System (STARS) AGSC & STARS...
Simplifying the Transfer Process in Alabama
Ten member committee
Made up of representatives from both the public two- and four-year institutions
Created to simplify the transfer of course credit between public institutions of higher education
Address and enforce the legislative provisions stated in ACT 94-202
Develop and implement a statewide transfer/articulation program
Serve as monitoring committee for the articulation program
Responsible for oversight of the STARS Program
Resolve any student complaints/appeals WHO CURRENTLY SERVES ON THE AGSC
FROM THE ALABAMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM?
Dr. Mark Heinrich - Chancellor
Dr. Joe Morris - JSCC
Dr. Bruce Crawford - LSCC
Dr. Amelia Pearson - SUSCC
Dr. Gary Branch - FSCC
Dr. James Mitchell - WCCS STARS TRANSFER GUIDE Let's look at some
usage figures... OVER 880,000
OBTAINED!! Conservative estimated savings of over... $900 MILLION DOLLARS Presentation to the
Alabama State Board of Education March 14, 2013 “The Alabama Articulation Legislation (Act 94-202) could be
the single greatest piece of consumer legislation ever passed by the Alabama State Legislature. As a result, over the last two decades, hundreds of thousands of college students have saved time, money, and course credit when transferring within our state.”
Dr. Gary Branch, President
Faulkner State Community College The problem...
FUNDING FOR AGSC/STARS IS AT AN ALL-TIME LOW. 1994-95 BUDGET
$1,200,000 2012-13 BUDGET
$375,000 We ask for your continued support.
The following states have inquired about the success of the AGSC/STARS Program:
MISSISSIPPI The AGSC/STARS Program
has become a model program for other states... “I alone cannot change the world,
but I can cast a stone across the
waters to create many ripples.” Mother Teresa “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” Winston Churchill AGSC/STARS been recognized in national publications such as... PRESENTATION TO THE ALABAMA STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION March 14, 2013