Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
YOU MAJORED IN WHAT?
Transcript of YOU MAJORED IN WHAT?
Chapter 1: A Butterfly Flaps Its Wings and You Find a Job
Chapter 3: Mental Wanderings
The Value of Thinking
10 Important Mindsets:
1. Systems 6. Global
2. Creative 7. Collaborative
3. Analytic 8. Reflective
4. Strategic 9. Flexible/Adaptive
5. Positive 10. Problem Solving
Chapter 4: Wandering Beyond Majors and Minors
Your major is not your end goal; its a series of classes that will help you accomplish your goal
Classes provide metaknowledge
Written by Katharine Brooks, Ed.D.
Presented by Alicia Walker
Career Counselor, Career Services Office
University of South Florida
Myth of the Linear Path
Major in Art Become a Cartoonist
Linear Thinking Statements
"My major equals my career""
"I can't do much with a Liberal Arts degree"
"I guess I should go to grad school"
How People Really Find Jobs
Chaos Theory- Helps us understand that too many variables in a complex system make it hard to predict the outcome.
Forms the basis of the Wise Wanderings Theory
Based on mathematical formulas originally designed to develop a better weather prediction model
Butterfly Effect- Small elements can change outcomes
5 Basic Tenets of Chaos Theory
1. Assess Knowledge
2. Use Abductive Reasoning
3. Change Occurs Constantly
4. Systems Reveal Order
5. Attractors Control Behavior
Chapter 2: Connecting the Dots
Includes anything significant to you:
Analyze Your Map
1. Identify Basic Categories
2. Identify Themes and Threads
3. Make new links based on themes and threads
Map your Major
1. Write name of major
2. Write down these words: courses, skills, theories, interesting items, knowledge, related courses
3. Jot down ideas related to each of these categories
4. Look at the map and find what pops out the most for you
Sell Your Major to Employers
What knowledge, mindsets, or approach would someone with your major bring to a workplace?
Become the World's Greatest!!!