Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Chemistry: Mole intro
Transcript of Chemistry: Mole intro
1. define a mole as a counting unit of chemistry
2. identify relationships between different moles, mass, and representative particles
3. make calculations based on those relationships smallest particle of a substance that still retains its properties
IONIC CPDS: formula units
MOLECULAR CPDS: molecules amu: measures mass of single atoms
gram: SI unit of mass
mole: SI unit for measuring amount (count) of substance
6.02 x 10^23 Def.: the mass in grams of one mole of a substance (units: grams/mole) Molar Mass Find the molar masses:
Sodium Chloride representative
particles Use dimensional analysis
The mole is a counting unit...
How many sig figs? 1 mol equals... Calculate the number of molecules in 11.5 mol H2O. You try one... Did you get 6.92 x 10^24 molecules ? A couple other ways... If you needed 0.50 moles of zinc (Zn) for a lab, how many grams would you measure out? If you needed 1.500 x 10^23 molecules of water, how many grams would you measure out on the balance? Did you get 32.7 g ? Did you get 4.5 g? Let's Practice a bit 1) What is the mass of 2.5 x 10^20 atoms of fluorine (F)?
2) What is the molar mass of aluminum oxide?
3) What would be the mass of 0.0010 mol of aluminum oxide?