Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Henry VIII and the Protestant Reformation
Transcript of Henry VIII and the Protestant Reformation
Anne Boleyn is an interesting historical figure who often is portrayed negatively. Read the following to find out more about her early life before her marriage to Henry.
The Elizabethan Settlement
The death of Henry led to a series of short reigns by his children before his daughter Elizabeth finally took the throne. She restored the Church of England. See the following: http://www.elizabethi.org/contents/elizabethanchurch/settlement.html
1. Describe how The Act of Supremacy was a compromise.
2. Explain how The Act of Uniformity helped to unite the two separate churches in England.
The Big Question
If you had been alive for the Protestant Reformation, knowing your personality, which side would you have been on? Would you have chosen to side with King Henry or the Catholic church? Please explain your answer, using information that you found using this WebQuest.
First, you need to understand why Henry VIII would want to break with the Catholic church. Read the following websites to gain insight into Henry's actions.
Be sure to answer the questions completely and in your own words. Simply copying information will earn you a zero!!! This is worth 85 points, with each question being 3 points and the big question counting as 10 points.
Read the following website: http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/KingsandQueensofEngland/TheTudors/HenryVIII.aspx
Answer the following questions:
1. Explain several reasons why Henry wanted a divorce from his first wife.
2. Had royal divorces ever occurred previously? If so, when?
3. After Henry was excommunicated, what series of events occurred that allowed the Church of England to be created?
4. How had Henry's actions caused a dangerous divide between the Catholic Church and Protestants?
Read the following: http://englishhistory.net/tudor/ab-percy.html
Answer the following questions:
1. Who do you believe deserved to marry Anne and why?
2. Did Henry have the right to act the way he did? Explain.
3. Explain what happened to Lord Percy.
What people said about Anne
Read the following link and then answer the questions: http://englishhistory.net/tudor/annedesc.html
1. Which of the descriptions do you think are most credible? Why?
2. If you were to describe Anne to someone, based on what you've read, what would you say? Be specific!
Read the following: http://englishhistory.net/tudor/letter11.html
1. What is the importance of this letter?
2. Do you think Jane was Henry's favorite wife? Why or why not?
All of the Wives
Check out this link first, to get acquainted with Henry's six wives. Feel free to explore.: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/sixwives/meet/
Next, view this link in youtube (below).
1. What surprises you most about Henry's wives?
2. Explain the irony of Henry dying as a devout Catholic.
The English Monasteries & More Wives
Watch these video clips in order (to the right):
1. Describe your opinion of the lengths Henry went to for divorce. Who helped him in this scheme?
2. Explain why Henry decided to destroy the monasteries.
3. Describe Henry's physical issues as he aged. How do you think this impacted the later part of his reign? Give examples for support.
The Catholic Reformation
In an effort to answer criticism that led to the Protestant Reformation, the Catholic Church responded in 1545. Read the following and answer the questions completely. http://www.theopedia.com/Catholic_Reformation
1. Discuss the three strategies the Church used to reform its weaknesses.
2. Explain the outcome of the Council of Trent.
3. Do you feel the Council of Trent accomplished its goals for the Church? Why or why not?
Witch hunts occurred all over Europe after the Protestant Reformation. Carefully read the following article and then answer the questions. Remember, pay attention to the events of the Reformation only. http://www.britannica.com/blackhistory/article-214883
1. Why did witch hunts occur?
2. Why do you think women were usually the ones accused of witch craft?
3. What do you think led to the end of the witch hunts?