Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of PRODUCTIVE SKILLS
Speaking activities in the classroom
What are they?
The productive skills
They are crucial as they give students the opportunity to practice real-life activities in the
What is the difference between accuracy and fluency activities?
An accuracy-oriented activity such as pattern drills is usually used in the teaching of a new target item. Such activities are usually controlled .
Language is the objective.
A fluency-oriented activity such as extensive reading and information gap aims to develop the students' spontaneous communications skills in using what they have already learned.
Communication is the objective
Organizing speaking activities
Pair work/Group work/ Whole class activity
Think about your instructions: clear and save time
Plenty of controlled and guided practice
before fluency activities.
the many aspects of effective writing. Correctness and accuracy are needed in the following areas.
Steps to a successful writing lesson
1. Pre-writing: Introduce the topic . reading, taking notes, brainstorming, and categorizing information
*consider the purpose of the task.
2. Writing -The student transfers the information they have gathered and organized into a traditional format. Drafting: Students create their initial composition
3. Revising: Students review, modify, and reorganize - improve !
*teacher´s /student´s feedback
4. Editing: Correct errors in grammar and clarity. .
The final written task may be given for homework
Purpose of speaking&writing
- accuracy based activities. Language is controlled
choral and individual listening to and repetition of the teacher's model of pronunciation.
Information gaps - where two students have different information and have to work together to solve a problem
output is still controlled by the teacher.
Model dialogues/Guided role-play/Interviews
Brainstorming activities, short Q&A activities, storytelling based around a picture
Communication games: story completion/tell your group: playing cards/snakes&ladders, guessing games
Picture narrating/find the difference
- fluency based activities. The scenario is usually created by the teacher but the content of the language isn't.
Teaching speaking is not: simply repeating what
the teacher has said.
Teaching speaking is : performing an oral task
with a real motivation behind it.
Types of writing activities
Small group collaborative writing activities
Helping students with speaking&writing
Characteristics of a Successful
1. Learners talk a lot the target language.
2. All get a chance to speak.
3. Motivation is high.
4. Language is comprehensible.
6. Give students preparation time
Writing is a process
writing they are expected to produce.