Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
HTRLLP Chapter 13: It's All Political
Transcript of HTRLLP Chapter 13: It's All Political
-Writers must be careful not to be too political, as it can ruin the novel.
-Good writers use politics to strengthen and interest the reader.
-Most writers convey their politics through the personality and behavior of the characters, or through metaphors and symbolism.
Summary: Examples in the book: Animal Farm: Socialism Other examples: 1. Foster asserts that, "Nearly all writing is political on some level" (Foster 111).
2. Why can most literature be called "political"?
- "Let's say this: Writers tend to be men and women who are interested in the worlds around them. That world contains many things, and on the level of society, part of what it contains is the political reality of the time... That's why political and social considerations often find their way onto the page in some guise, even when the result doesn't look terribly 'political'" (Foster 115). Study Guide Questions: 1849, and Dickens was engaged with David Copperfield. "A Christmas Carol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol>.
"Animal Farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
"Politics." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/politics>.
"Politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics>. Works Cited: -A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
-Stooge represents the political belief of Thomas Malthus, who predicted that the population would eventually overrun food production -Edgar Allan Poe's poem: "The Masque of Red Death"
-A prince quarantines his friends from the poor affected by a plague, but they end up dying.
-Criticizes the European class system (favors the unhealthy poor) -The animals of Manor Farm take over the humans, renaming it Animal Farm
-They create a philosophy of animalism: no human beings to oppress them
-Snowball, Napoleon, and Squealer take over
-Napoleon soon takes over, using propaganda to promote his leadership
-The other common animals are poor, hungry, and tired, but Napoleon does not realize it
-Later on, the pigs start acting like human beings, the other animals can not distinguish them