Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Social Determinants of Health and Health Inequalities
Transcript of The Social Determinants of Health and Health Inequalities
World Conference on the Social Determinants of Health Let's explore
The IFMSA towards Rio - What can we do?
- What can be done locally to increase awareness and knowledge? (Activities, educational projects)
- How can we cooperate and advocate globally and what should we advocate about?
- What implications should the social determinants of health have on health professional education?
- How can we create a knowledge base where we share our experiences with the social determinants of health? "Medicine is a social science, and politics is nothing else but medicine on a large scale. Medicine, as a social science, as the science of human beings, has the obligation to point out problems and to attempt their theoretical solution: the politician, the practical anthropologist, must find the means for their actual solution....The physicians are the natural attorneys of the poor, and social problems fall to a large extent within their jurisdiction." What did they find? What did they propose? How is the social determinants influencing the patients we seek to serve?
Equity from the start
Healthy places, healthy people
Fair employment and decent work
Social protection throughout life
Universal healthcare What did Virchow mean? Think about it
- Do doctors spend more time with those who have the resources to be healthy?
- Do the wealthiest receive the best treatment and the best follow up?
- How can healthcare itself overcome the social determinants in order to reduce health inequities? Social determinants amidst