Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Eating Disorders
Types Of Eating Disorders
In the 1950’s, Marilyn Monroe, the actress and model, was a size sixteen and was seen as one of the most beautiful woman in the world.
In modern day society, teenage girls and women aspire to look more like Nicole Richie, the admirable size zero.
A major factor contributing to eating disorders is cultural pressures.
Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia
~believe that they should be looked up upon and valued because they can control themselves
1) If you aren’t thin, you aren’t attractive
2) Being thin is more important than being healthy
3) You must cut clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, anything to make yourself look thinner
4) Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty
5) Thou shall not eat fattening food without punishing afterwards
6) Thou shall count calories and restrict intake accordingly
7) What the scale says is the most important thing
8) Losing weight is good, gaining weight is bad
9) You can never be too thin
10) Being thin and not eating are signs of true will power and success
~firmly believe that it is not an illness or a disorder, and there are no victims.
Seven out of ten women felt angrier and more depressed following the viewing of fashion model images.
79% of teenage girls who self-purge frequently read women’s fitness and health magazines.
A People magazine survey showed that 80% of female respondents felt that women in movies and television programs made them feel insecure about their bodies
"Psychiatric disorder characterized by an unrealistic fear of weight gain, self-starvation, and distortion of body image." -Medical Dictionary
Breakfast (0 cals)
Diet Coke (0 cals)
Diet Pill (0 cals)
Lunch (36 cals)
Water (0 cals)
1/2 sliced apple (36 cals)
Diet Pill (0 cals)
Dinner (30 cals)
Water/tea (0 cals)
3 oz. steamed vegetables (30 cals)
Snack (15 cals)
Sugar free gum (5 cals)
1/2 cup sugar free jello (10 cals)
In one day they may consume:
Anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness ~it is estimated that 10% of individuals with anorexia will die within 10 years of the onset of the disorder.
" Consume large amounts of food (binge) and then try to rid themselves of the food and calories (purge) by fasting, excessive exercise, vomiting, or using laxatives." -Medical Dictionary
The bingeing gives a sense of comfort though the food
Purging gives a sense of release and relief
-consume from 1 000 to 60 000 calories
"Characterized by compulsive overeating in which people consume huge amounts of food while feeling out of control and powerless to stop." -Help Guide
Unlike Bulimia because after the binge, the individual doesn't purge
Binge eating disoder can develop into a deadly disorder such as bulimia nervosa
A psychological disorder in which a person uses food to cope with sorrow, stress, and problems in their daily life
Get the best weight stability with the least amount of focus
Signs of Recovery
- bingeing and purging desires deminish
- thinking process becomes normal
- eating without feeling guilty
- exercising a healthy amount
- healthy self image
...for an extended period of time
Treating anorexia involves three steps:
-Getting back to a healthy weight
-Starting to eat more food
-Changing how you think about yourself and food
Key to prevention:
knowing that one person can make a difference and affect the individuals around them.
Steps toward preventing an eating disorder:
-living a healthy life
-knowing the risk factors of food and weight
-creating a higher self esteem based on things other than appearance
20% of anorexic's are men
More and more men are starving themselves to death in a pursuit of perfection
The difference between men and women with anorexia: there is no help on the way for men
Eating disorders in children under 12 have increased by 119% between 1999 and 2006