Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
THE DIRTY THIRTIES
Transcript of THE DIRTY THIRTIES
By Sam Rice
Dust Bowls and Black Blizzards
What was this?
Prolonged drought that struck Great Plains/middle of the U.S.
Multiple mistakes lead to it
Occurred in the 1930s (The Dirty Thirties)
"The worst man made ecological disaster in American History"
4 generations of farmers turning up grassland
1931 drought struck
Storms stopped in 1940
Left the soft soil vulnerable to high winds
Turned into "Black Blizzards"
Effects of the Dust Storms
60% of population left the area
Killed farm animals and crops
People died of "dust pneumonia"
Dust reached as far as 300 miles into the Atlantic where it covered ships
New Deal Agencies!!!
Soil Conservation Service
Goal was for rehabilitation of farm lands
Planted grass and trees to anchor soil
Used plowing patterns that held rain water
Fields could only be used every other year
Govt purchased land to keep untouched
But where did the dust go...?