Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Environmental Behavior Study Kevin Lynch
Transcript of Environmental Behavior Study Kevin Lynch
* clarity of the city elements.
* The sense of the whole.
* Imageability. Relationship Between the Observer and the Environment http://www.brightlightsmycity.com/2011/10/how-not-to-look-like-tourist.html B o s t o n, http://builtenvironmentblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/triangle-below-canal.html Figure 1. Image of the City. Kevin Lynch. 1960 J e r s e y C i t y, N J http://www.theplanningboardroom.net/image-is-everything-for-the-modern-city/ http://www.moversatwork.com/jersey-city/ L o s A n g e l e s, C A http://losangelesurbanism.wordpress.com/diagrams/la_2/ http://www.thewallpapers.org/tag/highway The Public Image of the City :
** Open Spaces
** Visual Control
** Sense of Motion The Visual Problems effect on the clarity of the image of the city: Lack Of Integration.
Break in continuity
Lacks of character
Lacks of differentiation These Problems must be appear on Map Factors affecting on character of the city: * Physical Structure
* Social Meaning
* Urban Function
* Historical Function
* Naming Some Of Visual Treatments: * Directional quality
* Dynamic shaping * Continuity
* Melody.. * Confirm Clarity of beginnings and endings for Paths.
* Minimize the branching. * The use of plants. * Clarity and continuity *Imageability *Visual Contrasts *Diversity in the construction materials used *Guidance * Singularity * Contrast * Clarity of general form * Imageability * Uniqueness * Integrated with other Marks * Belonging to surrounding fabric *Common characteristics *Continuity of harmonious elements * Architectural Style * Topographic * Urban Fabric * Colors , Construction Materials, Silhouette....etc * Orientational * Clarity & Continuity * Attractive Element * Ease of realization * Integrated network for all Nodes * Form Simplicity Metropolitan Scale: 1) Hierarchy Major
District 3 Sub districts 3 Sub-Sub-districts 2) Dominance of key element METHODOLOGY: Kevin Lynch Method "Primary analysis of the Public fabric " First Stage Field Reconnaissance Observation ( 4 Field Trips) Photographs Physical Map Notes Public Image Study Small Samples of People Citizen Daily Visitors Tourists * Individual Sketch Map.
* Imagine path for a certain trip.
* The Listing of distinctive feature.
* questioner Mental Map 1) Recording Report 2) Map Strengths and weaknesses 5 Elements (Paths, Nodes...etc) Criteria A plan for the Future Visual Form Mai Abu-Rayyan Environmental Behavior Study Imagibility & Legibility analysis Behavior Observation
"Have Al Terah neighborhood provided a model of urban planning with a recognized character that can leave a mental image of a strong impression?"
And then how we can find ways and strategies to achieve this. The study identify standards to provide a mental positive image for successful urban planning of neighborhood area by adopting scientific approach. Urban Design Guidelines to the appraisal in terms of urban design objectives Integration functions of Urban Design The image of the city and the implication of urban design Guidelines to the responsive environment The integrating function of Urban Design Important role in giving the visual form of the city to be seen,remembered and to be delighted with. City is not only an object but rather a product of many builders which it is constantly been modified for the reason of their own The urban design not only covers the urban structure but rather it covers the moving elements in a city,in particular the people and their activities The aspect of clarity and legibility is an important as visual plays the important role in giving the first impression of the city The cues that can aid in making the visual quality of a city successful are by the used of visual sensations of color,shape,motion or polarization of lights as well as others. Other methods are by taking the advantage used of sense such as smell,sound,touch and kinesthesia . The key physical elements are important in the urban context in making a particular city successfully response to the environment:path,edges,landmarks,node and districts. The Image of the City and the Implication of Urban Design Building the image: Environmental images are the result of a two-way process between the observer and his environment. Structure and Identity Environmental image may be analyzed into three components:identity,structure and meaning.These three components in directly related to each other and appear together. A workable image requires the identifications of the object or identity Must also include the spatial relation to the surrounding object Must have the meaning to the observer;practically or emotionally Imageability / Legibility Legibility is a quality in a physical object which gives it a high probability of evoking a strong image in any given observer. What can contribute to the successful of the legibility of a certain urban area is by the use shape,color,or arrangement. Likewise,this will facilitates in making the urban vividly identified,powerfully structured and highly useful mental The number of alternative ways through an environment and also the choices offer for people Guideline to responsive environment 1.PERMEABILITY The alternative routes offers should be visible to everyone or in other terms visual permeability Guidelines: The number of accessibility offer include spaces for public and private spaces Control the number of choice of route offer to ensure the right of privacy of certain places The time elements Guidelines: The purpose of promoting variety is to increase choices Choices also depends on mobility Not merely achieved by dumping an activities but also it has to work well-mutual support Feasibility The quality that makes a place graspable . Legibility is important at two levels;physical form and activity patterns.The aspect that contribute in making a place legible is the 5 key physical elements;
PATH, EDGES,NODES, LANDMARKS, DISTRICT. Guideline to responsive environment 3. LEGIBILITY The elements must be patterned and structured together
Place that can be used for many different purposes, offer their users more choice than places whose design limits them to a single fixed use. Guideline to responsive environment 4. ROBUSTNESS
Important in the place which are most likely to be frequented by people from a wide variety of different background Guideline to responsive environment 5. VISUAL APPROPRIATENESS Mostly important in the more public spaces of the scheme Supporting its robustness at both large and small scale. Guidelines: Supporting its legibility, in terms of form and use Supporting its variety 6. RICHNESS
Variety of sense-experiences which users can enjoys
Not purely visual matter but other senses also have design implications:
i.Sense of motion
ii.Sense of smell
iii.Sense of hearing
iv.Sense of touch Guideline to responsive environment
Users personalize in two ways:
i.To improve practical facilities
ii.To change the image of the place Guideline to responsive environment 7. PERSONALISATION Users to personalize the existing environments This is the only way most people can achieve an environment which bears the stamp of their own tastes and values Al Terah Neighborhood Environmental Behavior Study Al Terah Neighborhood The research problem is in the following question: Theories Dar Ibrahim 14 dar Ibrahim ST. 20 Al Tira ST. 14 Batn El Hawa ST Data Collection 10 Al Qdes Btros ST 12 Damascus ST. 12 Ein Aljoz ST. Al Tirah Damascus Str. 12 Goreg Hawe STR 12 Al Naana Str. 16 Al Raze Str. 20 Al Tira Str. 12 Al Khwarzme Str. Al Mahd Str. Al Nile Str. Al Nile Str. Atta Al Zer Str. Lorka Str. Al Enjleh Str. Dalal Moghrabi Str. Kulthum Odeh Str. Athena Str. Jabra Ibrahim Jabra Str. Al Khalsa Str. Labib Hishmeh St. Znobeh St. Node Path District Edges