Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Superman Sulfur!!
ccurrence in nature
Group 16 (Oxygen group)
In Our Body
- Makes proteins and nucleic acids
-Contained in DNA
- In many essential enzymes
- Improves strength
- Very beneficial to skin disorders including acne, warts, and dandruff
- Slows down growth of your body, like hair and nails
- Gives you dry and itchy skin
- Both sulfur and protein deficiencies can cause general weakness and decrease in muscle mass.
- Damage to immune system, so you would get sick more often
- Damage to the liver, which helps us get rid of waste in our body.
- Disturbance of blood circulation, heart damage, and effects on eyes and eyesight.
- Children with too much sulfur, which is a very rare occurrence, would grow up with many developmental problems.
- With weak blood circulation and damage to your heart, children would not be able to grow into a strong and healthy adult.
used in :
description: Yellow, Odorless, poor conductor of electricity, insoluble in water
Where in nature:
- It is released as gas from volcanoes and when exposed to cold areas, it turns back to a solid as little yellow deposits found on the edge volcano's edge.
- Large amounts of sulfur remains underground in earth’s crust.
-Sulfur can be found near hot springs or edges of volcanoes that aren't active
ores of copper, zinc, nickel, cobalt, molybdenum, lead, and other metals are sulfides.
- Mineral galena (PbS): first semiconductor and was helpful receiving signals for crystal radios (simple radio receivers used many decades ago). That means that this ore can carry an electrical charge.
- Pyrite (FeS2): Called "fool's gold" because its appearance was often mistaken for gold.
Other sulfur Minerals:
-Cinnabar (mercury sulfide)
-Sphalerite (Zinc sulfide)
-Stibnite (antimony sulfite)
Compounds that include sulfur are called sulfides. Sulfur is mostly used for manufacturing gunpowder, fireworks, and rubber. Also for the treatment of skin diseases. Overall, the most important use is its presence in compounds.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)
A highly toxic gas, with extreme odor, very poisonous, and joins nitrogen oxide to produce acid rain. This makes this compound pretty deadly.
Useful in food preservation, fruit ripening, and is utilized as a bleach. When used correctly, the compound can be helpful, but you shouldn't purposely try to eat any.
It is also contained in gases released from volcanoes
Hydrogen sulfide (H2S)
A colorless, poisonous gas that smells like rotten eggs.
Found in sewers, mines, hot springs, and fishing ships.
Used in the making of paper and cloth, and in the tanning of leather.
Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4)
One of the most important compounds of sulfur. It is known for its important use in manufacturing because of its low cost.
Major part in the production of high quality fertilizers, which help your garden.
Helps remove rust, grit, and other types of contamination.
Used in certain lead-acid batteries for cars
Zinc Sulfide (ZnS)
used as rocket fuel:
Is a sulfur compound, can be found in the body and works to help reduce the formation of muscle cramps, to keep you active and relieved of minor pain.
Helps with allergies, asthma (trouble breathing), and arthritis so it is recommended for children.
This supplement is found in pharmacies, like Walgreens pharmacy. One bottle of a MSM supplement (1000 milligram) with 200 capsules costs about $20. You can take up to 4 capsules in one day and the daily cost averages out to approximately 40 cents. Children under 2 years of age are advised not to take this. Studies show that children have taken high doses of this supplement without any problems.
Is present in many fruits, veggies, and even in humans.
SAA (sulfur-containing amino acids)-
Acts as a protein supplement for children and vegan/vegetarians.
These sulfur amino acids help in tissue repair so your scrapes and cuts will heal quickly.
DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide)-
Usually comes as a cream or gel but can also be taken internally. It relieves pain, inflammation, and helps improve arthritis or joint movement. Also increases blood flow.
If taken internally (like a shot ouch!! or pill) , it may cause some side effects including headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Has a strong odor which leads to garlic smell.
"It is largely produced in
. It is mined in almost 30 states
U.S. virgin islands
Sulfur in Food
-sunflower seeds, almonds, sesame seed, and walnuts
*Garlic and Onions
BY: NADEEN SUKHON