Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Arts Integration at AFIA
Transcript of Arts Integration at AFIA
Renaissance in the Classroom
pg. xxvi Learning about the arts Learning in the arts Learning through the arts The What Arts Enhanced Curriculum Arts Integrated Curriculum "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
Albert Einstein Both provide authentic, experiential learning guided by students' inquiry Arts Curriculum dance music visual art theater Using arts as a way to teach the content
Example: students use music to learn the ABCs Learning purely about the art form arts objectives content objectives layering for deeper learning in both scholastic.com
"The reason why arts integration holds so much potential for the classroom is the power of art to engage students in experiential learning, which is the process for making meaning directly from the learning experience as opposed to academic learning, the study of a subject without the direct learning from experiencing that subject." “One of the reasons I have come to concentrate on imagination as a means through which we can assemble a coherent world is that imagination is what, above all, makes empathy possible."
(Greene, Releasing the Imagination, p. 3) Steps:
1. Classroom teacher/students provides a topic
2. Classroom teacher and Arts Coordinator create a topic map*
3. Classroom teacher finds natural ties to Common Core Standards
4. Arts Coordinator finds natural ties to National Fine Arts Standards
5. Classroom teacher and Arts Coordinator create bows of authenticity including content and arts objectives
6. Classroom teacher and Arts Coordinator decide when Arts Coordinator will provide support during "messing around" activities and the project (discussed during weekly planning) What does this mean for you? Being at AFIA means doing what is best for children, embracing the process, challenging one another and constant re-evaluation I am glad you are here and look forward to working with each of you! Questions? Learning about the arts Visual Arts Content Standard 1a.
Use different media and techniques to communicate ideas. Learning through the arts Common Core Standard K.CC.B.4a
1 to 1 correspondence
When counting objects, say the number names in the standard order, pairing each object with one and only one number name and each number name with one and only one object. Learning in the arts Arts Objective: Dance- understand movement through space as a way to communicate meaning.
Content Objective: Science- understand the purpose of Simple Machines and how they move. *example topic maps Arts Integration is... partly... partly... fully... The reasons for Arts Integration are... experiential learning student engagement imagination empathy What are we doing that is working? Some of the ways we are integrating arts into the classroom: Visual Thinking: 10 minutes per day of looking at a work of art or object and using critical thinking skills to have a class discussion (Classroom Teacher)
Imaginative Learning: one 45 minute lesson per week in art making and literacy
***Project Based Learning: various times throughout the week, students are engaged in a project that uses arts integration
(Classroom Teacher and Arts Coordinator) planning Arts Integration and Project Based Learning implementation Hayley Holt
Academy for Integrated Arts
Kansas City, MO *based on ideas from the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, and what we have learned along the way