Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Nabila Doupoon 19 September 2012
Transcript of integumentary system
Breast The subsection Integumentary contains the subheadings: Incision and Drainage
Paring or Cutting
Removal of Skin Tags
Shaving of Epidermal or Dermal Lesions
Excision-Malignant lesions Each subheading is further divided by category, For example, the subheading Skin, Subcutaneous, and Accessory Structures is divided into the following categories: Skin, Nails, and Repair Skin Subcutaneous and Accessory Structures:
Incision and Drainage
incision and drainage codes are (10040-10180) and are divided according to the condition for what incision and drainage procedure is being performed.
● incision & drainage examples acne surgery, abscess, carbuncle, boil, cyst, hematoma
● puncture aspiration code 10160- inserting a needle into a lesion and withdrawing the fluid
● I&D codes are first divided according to the condition and then according to whether the procedure was simple or complicated
● a simple and complicated finger abscess would be reported with an incision and drainage code (26010, 26011) from the
Musculoskeletal system subsection, Hand and Finger, Incision codes Debridement & Excision Debridement promotes wound healing by reducing sources of infection
● the goal is to clean the wound, reduce bacterial
contamination, and provide the optimal environment for
● codes in this category (11000-11047) describe services of
debridement based on depth, body surface, and condition and location
● 1st debridement codes (11000 &11001) are coded for
eczematous debridement Lesion Excision and Destruction ● 4 different treatments for lesions:
● paring- peeling or scraping
● excision- cutting removal
● destruction- removing completely
● to code these procedures properly you must know the site, number and size of the excised lesions,as well as mailgnant ir benign
● if multiple lesions are treated code the most complex lesion procedure first followed by the others using Nails in the nails category are codes (11719-11765) for the trimming of fingernails and toenails, debridement of nails , drainage of hematomas, biopsies of nails, repair of nails, reconstruction of nail bed
● Podiatrists are physicians who specialize in the care of the foot; these physicians use these codes the most
● 1st code in the nails category is 11719, which is the trimming of nails that are not defective
● Debridement (11720) is a more complex service, the manual cleaning of up to five nails
● avulsion- the seperation and removal of the nail plate (11730, 11732) Repair When reporting wound repair, the following 3 factors must be considered
1. Length of the wound in centimeters
2. Complexity of the repair
3. Site of the wound repair
● Simple repair- superficial wound repair(12001-12021) that involves epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous tissue.
● Intermediate repair- requires closure of one or more subcutaneous tissue
● Complex repair- involves complicated wound closure including revision, debridement, extensive undermining, and more than one layer closure
● skin replacement surgery (15002-15278)
● pinch graft (15050)
● autografts (15130-15116) grafts that are taken from the patients body BURNS burns are classified as first, second and third degree based on the depth of the burn
a burn of the epidermis is a first degree burn,
a dermal burn is a second degree burn
a subcutaneous level burn is third degree.
dressing and debridment codes report either initial or subsequent treatments.
burn dressing and/ or debridement codes(16020-16030) are divided based on whether the dressing or
debridements is of a small, medium, or large area. DESTRUCTION the codes report destruction of lesions by means other than excision.
codes 17000-17004 report destruction of lesions by the number treated BREAST PROCEDURES breast procedures (19000-19499) are divided according to category of procedure.
in incisional biopsy an incision is made into the lesion and a small portion of the lesion is taken out,
in excisional biopsy the entire lesion is removed for biopsy
a partial mastectomy (19301) is one in which only a portion of the breast is removed
4. Excision Test Questions: a. Full- thickness removal of a lesion that may include simple closure
b. Second layer of skin holding blood vessels, nerve endings, sweat glands nad hair.
c. Localized collection of pus that will result in the disintegration of tissue over time
d. Removal of a small piece of living tissue for diagnostic purposes. 5.This condition is chronic abscessing and subsequent infection of a sweat gland a. Folliculitis
d. Hidradenitis 2012 Step-By-Step Medical Coding by Carol J. Buck
20121 ICD-9-CM, Volumes 1, 2 &3 Professional Edition
Google/images.com Reference Page 1. D
5. D Answers: Nicole Johnson:
Skin, Nail & Repair Shanita Dove: Burns,
Destruction and breast procedures Nabila Doupo: Presentation composition