Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Integers & Absolute Value
Transcript of Integers & Absolute Value
2. What is the ball's speed?
3. If the ball goes up until 2 second and then falls down afterwards, when is the ball's velocity POSITIVE and when is it NEGATIVE?
4. You and your friend are standing on a bridge. You throw a ball up at 10 ft/sec and your friend throws it down under the bridge at 12 ft/sec. What was the velocity of your football? Your friend's? Which ball had the greatest speed?
5. Think of the path of the football vertically. If the ball travels 15 yards up in the air, then how much will it travel down? Write an equation explaining your answer. 15 yd Lesson Absolute Value The distance from a number to zero on a number line. It is written like this: |-3|
So "|-3|" is said, "The absolute value of negative three." The answer to this is 3. Absolute Value: The distance from a number to zero. NOT the opposite of a number. |-12| = 12
|12| = 12 1. 5
6. –7 ? | –2 |
7. | –5 | ? –2
8. | –6 | ? | –2 |
9. | 9 | ? | –9 | Integers: Counting numbers and their opposites.
NOT fractions, decimals or square roots. -1, -3, 0, 1, 4 3 4 5 SPEED tells how fast an object is moving, but does not tell the direction.
VELOCITY tells how fast an object is moving and also tells the direction. Introduction HINT the Absolute value is ALWAYS positive. What's the difference between SPEED and VELOCITY? Examples Non-Examples 1/2, 0.33 NS.1 Complete the statement using <, > or =. Find the absolute value of the integer. Order the values from least to greatest. 10. 2, | –8 |, –3, |3 |, –5 Speed & Velocity To find the speed from velocity, you take the absolute value of the velocity. Velocity: 45 mph Speed: |45| mph = 45 mph Velocity: -105 mph Speed: |-105| mph = 105 mph Find the missing value. 11. Velocity: -23 m/s Speed: ? m/s
12. Velocity: 52 km/h Speed: ? km/h HINT 1. 5
6. < 7. >
12. 52 Use previous knowledge and understanding of fractions to add, subtract, multiply & divide integers and rational numbers. Common Core Standard ? What kinds of numbers are there and how do they fit on a number line? Guiding Question If it's positive, the object is moving up or right.
If it's negative, the object is moving down or left.