Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Mercury and Venus

No description
by

Jane Christian Dionisio

on 21 September 2012

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Mercury and Venus

Mercury and Venus The name Mercury is derived from the Roman god of science, commerce and the patron of travellers. The choice of name was probably due to the planet's high orbital speed. Mercury Apollo "the morning star", in the morning,
Hermes "the evening star" •The innermost planet. Mercury is: •The second smallest planet •Hardly larger than Earth's Moon and is smaller than
three other moons in the Solar System. •Is a very dense planet. Mercury swoops to within 46,000,000 kilometers of the Sun,
then slows down as it swings out to some
70,000,000 km away. It orbits the Sun once in about 88 Earth days,
completing three rotations about its axis
for every two orbits. Mercury’s density can be used to infer details
of its inner structure. While the Earth’s high density
results appreciably from gravitational compression,
particularly at the core,
Mercury is much smaller and its inner
regions are not nearly as strongly compressed.
Therefore, for it to have such a high density,
its core must be large and rich in iron. Also known as Aphrodite (Greek Goddess) Venus Venus and Earth are often called twins because they are similar in size, mass, density, composition and gravity. However, the similarities end there. Venus is the hottest world in the solar system. Although Venus is not the planet closest to the sun, its dense atmosphere traps heat in a runaway version of the greenhouse effect that warms up the Earth. As a result, temperatures on Venus reach 870 degrees F (465 degrees C), more than hot enough to melt lead. no liquid water on its surface covered by flat, smooth plains marred by thousands of volcanoes also possesses a number of surface
features unlike anything on the Earth brighter than any other planet or even any star highly reflective clouds Venus has a hellish atmosphere as well,
consisting mainly of carbon dioxide
with clouds of sulfuric acid,
and scientists have only d
etected trace amounts of water
in the atmosphere.
The atmosphere is heavier than that of
any other planet, leading to a surface
pressure 90 times that of Earth. Venus orbits the Sun at an average distance of about 0.72 AU (108,000,000 km; 67,000,000 mi), and completes an orbit every 224.65 days. Venus's rotation has slowed down by 6.5 minutes per day since the Magellan spacecraft visited it 16 years ago Conditions on the Venusian surface differ radically from those on Earth, owing to its dense carbon dioxide atmosphere. The mass of the atmosphere of Venus is 96.5% carbon dioxide, with most of the remaining 3.5% being nitrogen. Ice may exist in its craters. The greatest in the solar system.
Full transcript