Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Baudrillard
The Consumer Society: Myths and Structure (1970)
For a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign (1972) On consumption Key concepts Sign value We consume sign value, not the objects themselves. Key concepts A collective function We consume to impress others Personalization Key concepts “'personalization' […] is actually a basic ideological concept of a society which 'personalizes' objects and beliefs solely in order to integrate persons more effectively” It creates an illusion of being indivual and different, when the complete opposite is happening. Absence of freedom Key concepts Consumption is mandatory, just like work is. Similar to a psychosomatic illness. Our consumption influences our social status. Not consuming makes you a social pariah. Illusion of enjoyment Jean Baudrillard