Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


CSI - Elmyr De Hory

Art Forgery

Beth Loewen

on 29 January 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of CSI - Elmyr De Hory

By: Beth Loewen Elmyr De Hory Backround Information Elmyr was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1906.
He died in 1976 on December 11th.
He was born with the name
He had only one brother, who was younger than him
He was Jewish Education When he was 18 years old, Elemér joined the Akademie
Heinmann Art School in Munich, Germany, to study
classical painting.
Then in 1926, he moved to Paris, and enrolled in the
Academie la Grande Chaumiere, where he studied under
Fernand Leger and became accustomed to fine living. When Elemér ended arrived in France, he tried to make a living being an artist, but soon after realized that he had way more ability in the area of recreating other artist's paintings.
In 1946, he sold his first fake painting, which was a Picasso replica, to his British friend, who thought that it was the original copy.
From this point on, he began to sell his Picasso replica's to art galleries, who were paying him between $100 and $400 for a painting. After finishing his education, Elemér returned to Hungary,
Upon returning to Hungary, Elemér got himself into some
trouble and ended up in jail.
He was later released during the Second World War.
Yet, within one year, He ended up in jail once again.
He was beaten up in jail and then transferred to a prison hospital. This is where he escaped and returned back to Hungary.
When He got there he found out that his parents were dead and that their estate had been confiscated Life as a Forger Being Found Because some of the galleries de Hory had sold his forgeries to were becoming suspicious, he began to use pseudonyms, and to sell his work by mail order. Some of de Hory's pseudonyms included Louis Cassou, Joseph Dory, Joseph Dory-Boutin, Elmyr Herzog, Elmyr Hoffman and E. Raynal.
During the 1950s, de Hory settled in Miami, continuing to sell his forgeries through the mail and studying the styles and techniques of other master painters in order to imitate their works. In 1955 one of his Matisse forgeries was sold to the Fogg Art Museum at Harvard University; soon after this authorities discovered it was a fake and launched an investigation Jail Painting Fakes In the same year that he started painting fakes, Elemér met and teamed up with a man who went by the name of Jacques Chamberlin
Their financial agreement was that they would split the money that they earned 50/50, Jacques ended up keeping almost all of the money instead of giving Elemér his correct amount. Due to this matter, de Hory went his seperate way from Jacques, and continued his tour without his partner. He eventually ended up living in the U.S., some where between Los Angeles and New York City. Investigation On his return, de Hory discovered that his paintings were making a lot of money at several art galleries, and it was thought that the galleries had only paid him a fraction of what they thought the paintings were really worth. To add even more to de Hory's plate was that the manner of his forgeries; they had become recognizable. This forced him to sell his fake paintings door-to-door to make a living. In 1955 de Hory sold several forgeries to Chicago art dealer Joseph W. Faulkner, who later discovered they were fakes. Faulkner pressed charges against de Hory and istarted a federal lawsuit against him, alleging mail and telephone fraud. De Hory later moved to Mexico City, where he was briefly detained and questioned by the police, not for his artistic endeavors, but regarding his connection to a suspect in the murder of a British man, whom de Hory claimed he had never met. When the Mexican police attempted to extort money from him, de Hory hired a lawyer who also attempted to extort money from him, by charging exorbitant legal fees. De Hory paid the lawyer with one of his forgeries and returned to the USA. Suspicion De Hory always denied that he had ever signed any of his forgeries with the name of the artist whom he was imitating. This is an important legal matter, because painting in the style of an artist is not a crime, only signing a painting with another artist's name makes it a forgery. This may be true, as Legros may have signed the paintings with the false names. The Law In 1964, now 58-years old, de Hory began to tire of the forgery business, and soon his work began to suffer. Due to this, many art experts began noticing that the paintings they were receiving were forgeries. Some of the galleries examining de Hory's work alerted Interpol, and the police were soon on the trail of Legros and Lessard. Legros sent de Hory to Australia for a year, to keep him out of the eye of the investigation.
By 1966, more of de Hory's paintings were being revealed as forgeries; one man in particular, Texas oil magnate Algur H. Meadows, to whom Legros had sold 56 forged paintings, was so mad to find out that most of his collection was forged, that he demanded the arrest and prosecution of Legros. After this, Legros decided to hide from the police at de Hory's house on Ibiza, where he asserted ownership, and threatened to evict de Hory. Because of this and Legros' increasingly violent mood swings, Elemér decided to leave Ibiza. Legros and Lessard were soon caught and imprisoned on charges of check fraud. Elmyr continued to stay away from the police for some time, but, tired of life in exile, and so he decided to move back to Ibiza to accept his fate. In August 1968, a Spanish court convicted him of the crimes of homosexuality and of consorting with criminals, sentencing him to 2 months in prison. He was never directly charged with forgery, because the court could not prove that he had ever created any forgeries on Spanish soil. He was released in October 1968 and expelled from Spain. His Fate Running from the Law Staying Safe www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal.../elmyr_de_hory/index.html
www.elmyr.net/ Sources
Full transcript