Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sir Charles Spencer "Charlie" Chaplin
Transcript of Sir Charles Spencer "Charlie" Chaplin
BIRTH - DEATH
BIRTH: APRIL 16, 1889
DEATH: DECEMBER 25, 1977 (88)
WHERE HE WAS FROM
LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
WHERE HE LIVED
- NEW YORK
"Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone."
(On film, 'A Countess From Hong Kong')
"If they don't like it, they are bloody idiots. A diplomat falls in love with a prostitute - what better story can they get than that?"
Won many awards including 3 Oscars, a Bafta, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- First actor to be on cover of TIME magazine
- due to accusations of being a communist, imprints were removed from Chinese Theater in Hollywood and is "misplaced"
- Adolph Hitler knew Chaplin is popular, so he grew a Chaplin mustache to appeal to people
WHAT SETS HIM APART?
- For black & white, Charlie was able to express almost more emotion & feeling than what we have now in the present day.
-When he directed, he had sometimes used inexperienced actors
but is still able to get a good movie using them, and if they really need help he will show them how it's done.
-Was an extreme perfectionist, and would use hundreds of takes just to get a 3 minute sequence in a movie.
THE GREAT DICTATOR
THE GOLD RUSH
OFTEN REVISITS PAST CHARACTER, EX. THE TRAMP...A LOT
USED BASIC OUTLINE OF STORY, NO SCRIPT
INCORPORATES BOTH POOR AND RICH THEMES IN MOVIES. (eg. Dress poorly, acts high class)
Quotes about Chaplin.
"we felt that the public, and especially the children, like animals that are cute and little. I think we are rather indebted to Charlie Chaplin for the idea. We wanted something appealing, and we thought of a tiny bit of a mouse that would have something of the wistfulness of Chaplin — a little fellow trying to do the best he could."
-Walt Disney, stating that the development of the Mickey Mouse character was inspired by Chaplin
"With 'A King in New York' Charles Chaplin was the first film-maker to dare to expose, through satire and ridicule, the paranoia and political intolerance which overtook the United States in the Cold War years of the 1940s and 50s."
FILMS BEST KNOWN FOR...