Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Asthma
High prevalence (~15% of NZ population)
Low mortality (<5% of deaths)
High economic cost
A chronic inflammatory disorder of the airways
Variable airway obstruction - reversible
Atopic individuals - childhood onset
Hypersensitivity increases chances of development of asthma
Respiratory tract infections increase risk
Who develops asthma?
What triggers an attack?
Nasal and sinus problems
Drugs and food additives
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
Changes in airways
Also refer to fig 25-3
Evaluation and treatment
Spirometry in adults - sophisticated
Peak flow meters used for home management
Avoidance of allergen if known