Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sound of Thunder
Transcript of Sound of Thunder
A Sound of Thunder: Stay on the Path
Warm Up: Screen the trailer for the film adaptation of the short story we're about to read. In a complete sentence, describe what you see using one of the following SAT modifiers from last week.
So, would you travel to the past to hunt dinosaurs if you had access to a time machine? If not, where would you go instead? Why?
Who is this guy, Mr. Bradbury? (See pages 67-70 and 102 in LOL at home for more info)
- Another 20th century writer of fantasy and science fiction
- Common themes: consequences of progress; ironies of life
- Style/voice: urgent, excited, breathless wonder; use of simile and metaphor; intriguing beginnings that capture the imagination; social critic
- Fahrenheit 451 – his most famous book depicting a future government that controls its people by eliminating mental stimulation
You can watch the newer version at home if you wish, though it got poor reviews. It's available for free on YouTube...
Let's Screen the short film adaptation of A Sound of Thunder, which originally aired on Ray Bradbury Television...
Stay on the path!!!
Homework: Complete quiz on Sound of Thunder. The quiz is on Edmodo. We will discuss your scores next class and go over the answers.
For Example: Working
, the characters in this movie will struggle to correct the mistake they made when playing with the past.
It is 2055, the day after an important election in which democracy wins out over dictatorship. Eckels signs up with Time Safari, Inc., to travel 60 million years into the past to hunt dinosaurs. Travis, the safari guide, points out an
and warns everyone to stay on it so that nothing, not even a blade of grass, is changed.
What do you predict will happen next? Will Eckels obey Travis and stick to the path? If he fails to do so, what do you think will happen?
1. MICE – if there are none then…
2. The FOXES die off. If there are no foxes...
3. Then the LIONS die off.
4. And other Insects/other life forms die off too
5. If there are no lions, then Cavemen die of because they have no have LIONS to eat.
6. In there are no cavemen, then...this leads to death of future races/people/nations
Time to Read
1. Open to page 71 in textbook.
2. Read for GIST and SIGNIFICANT MOMENTS. Place notes in Readers/Writers Journals and be prepared to share ideas with class at close of lesson.
3. Student who is Eckels reads card to himself from Time Safari, Inc.
4. Discuss story and significant moments.
Eckels - rich man who wants to hunt dinosaurs in the past
(* Distribute special butterfly card to reader)
Mr. Travis - Safari guide who represents order and control
Lesperance - Travis' assistant
Billings - another hunter
Kramer - another hunter
Official behind desk of Time Safari, Inc.
Now do you see why it was so important to stay on the path?! How was the future altered by a mistake in the past during time travel?
There has been a paradigm shift in the political system in the future because of one butterfly that was stepped on by Eckels in the past when he fell off the path...
The democracy no longer stands. Now, a dictator is in power. Eckels is in deep trouble...
Closure: Compare story to short film in a Venn Diagram.
Hail to the Chief!
Saddam, back from
the dead to
No more time for fun
and games with Monica
anymore in the Oval Office...
Hope is lost...
Stay on the path,
...something bad might happen.
Can we get a volunteer to walk down the path in our classroom, panic like Eckels when he sees the T. rex, and then fall off the path, stepping on the butterfly and transforming the future forever? We need someone who is capable of putting on a convincing drama show! Any actors/actresses out there who want to give this a shot?
Now, Hitler is back in business...
What is the "butterfly effect" and how does it related to themes in A Sound of Thunder? Screen motivational speech and discuss!
(with reference to chaos theory) the phenomenon whereby a minute localized change in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere.
Origin: 1980s - from the notion that a butterfly fluttering in Rio de Janeiro could change the weather in Chicago.