Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
MUS 122 - Second Viennese School
Transcript of MUS 122 - Second Viennese School
The Second Viennese School
The second Viennese School
Arnold Schoenberg (1874-1951)
Jewish, emigrates to US
Prof at UCLA, USC
American citizen, 1940
Style: 4 periods
(12-tone with tonal implications)
From middle Atonal period
Commedia dell'arte characters
Female reciter and 8 instruments
Alban Berg (1885-1935)
More expressive & lyrical
Two operas: "Wozzeck" and "Lulu"
Style more romantic, even in 12-tone
Marie, Wozzeck, son
(tonal & 12-tone)
Most radical of the three
Toward: TOTAL SERIALISM
understand and sing it"
Symphony op. 21
First of 3 to write a symphony
Influence from painting
Depths of the psyche
Freeing dissonance from need to resolve