Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ibuprofen vs. Tylenol
Transcript of Ibuprofen vs. Tylenol
Anna Goebel, Marcelo Torres
Ibuprofen works by limiting the body's production of fatty acids called prostaglandins. In addition to reducing fever, body aches, and pain caused by prostaglandins, ibuprofen reduces inflammation
How it works?
-Limiting the production of prostaglandins
-not an NSAID and does not deal with inflammation.
-Two medical categories:
*analgesics (pain reliving)
*antipyretics (fever reducing)
What it do?
How it works?
-inhibits enzyme (COX)
What it do?
- polar in nature; can hydrogen bond; very reactive.
-non-polar, insoluble; low melting point.
-hydrophobic; resist oxidation and reduction.
- polar; soluable; reactive (form amides with carboxylic acid.)
So, by blocking/inhibiting the prostoglandins the drug allows the body to reduce pain, inflammation, and fever.
Functional groups of Ibuprofen include Carboxylic acid, Benzene.
Functional groups found in acetaminophen are Alcohol, Benzene, Phenol, and Amide.
Like ibuprofen, acetaminophen lowers fever and reduces aches and pains. Unlike ibuprofen, it doesn't reduce inflammation. Acetaminophen is milder on the digestive tract than ibuprofen is and causes no stomach problems, so you don't need to give it to your child with food.
1.What do both ibuprofen and acetaminophen stop the production of to help reduce pain?
2.Acetaminophen is different from ibuprofen because aside from just releving pain it also reduces inflamation. True or False
3.______ __________ means that molecules are mirror images of each other.
4. A keytone is a compoound containg an oxygen atom joined to a carbon atom by a double bond. True or False
5. _________ and __________ are the two medical categories od acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen - PubChem." Ibuprofen - PubChem. NCBI, n.d. Web. 01 Sept. 2013.
Chemistry in Your Cupboard." Royal Society of Chemistry. RSC, n.d. Web. 01 Sept. 2013
"Amine Functional Group." Amine Functional Group. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Sept. 2013
Carboxylic acid: consists of carbonyl and hydroxyl, both accepts and donates hydrogen, optical isomers,
Benzene: organic chemical compound, inserts itself into DNA,