Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
before i fall By: Lauren Oliver
Transcript of before i fall By: Lauren Oliver
By: Lauren Oliver
In the book before i fall By: Lauren Oliver it's cupid's day, (Friday, February 12) but we call it Valentine's Day. Sam gets invited to a party because her and her friends say that they are the most popular girls in school. In fact, this is Kent's party the boy who likes Sam and is socially awkward.
She first feels something that is "like a scythe of metal slicing into her." (Oliver 82) She wakes up in a beam of light and the sound of her alarm. She checks her phone and notices that it says Friday, February 12. She plays it off normal until her friends are saying the same things that they did yesterday and the same events are happening. At first, she thinks that she is just having deja vu, but then things get scary weird.
1. She gets invited to Kent's party again and goes, hoping that she's not crazy and the crash doesn't happen again.
2. Then the same things happen ,her boyfriend gets drunk again and is passed out on the couch. She then wants to leave like before. Next, when they are on their way home the headboard flashes 12:39, the exact time of the crash last night, she sees this beam of light and they crash right into it, the white shadow.
3. She wakes up the same (with her alarm) and she checks her phone, Friday, February 12. Now, she is starting to think that she is just getting a few chances to restart her final day. She all of the sudden does whatever she wants in school like kisses her teacher and skips classes with Lindsay.
4. She decides not to go home with Lindsay this time and doesn't get in an accident but when she goes to bed and wakes up again it's still Friday, February 12.
5. She skips school telling her mom that her boyfriend and her broke up. She doesn't go to the party but again when she goes to bed she wakes up the same day.
6. Juliet, who is an outcast called "psycho", commits suicide and later on in the story Sam realizes what a great person Juliet really is and how important she is in Sam's life.
7.After about 5 times she gets the point she thinks she is dead and she accepts it. Then, at these parties she starts hanging out with Kent and notices that he isn't such a weird guy and she starts liking him back. She relives hanging out with him a few times and she likes him and realizies how much she has missed him. She falls in love, but then she falls asleep and starts over.
After about 5 times she gets the point she thinks she is dead and she accepts it. Then, at these parties she starts hanging out with Kent and notices that he isn't such a weird guy and she starts liking him back. She relives hanging out with him a few times and she likes him and realizies how much she has missed him. She falls in love, but then she falls asleep and starts over. On the last day, she decides to change up the day a little and breaks up with her boyfriend Rob (who never liked her) and goes out with Kent (who isn't mentioned much in the story until it was towards the end) because he's the one that really gets her. On her 5th or 6th time going over things she goes to the site of the accident and finds out what the white thing that they crash into is. When she dies for the final time, she hears all of her friends around her and then welcomes her death, she sees her greatest hits and everything she wants to be remembered by.
1. Kent is a very weird boy who has always liked Sam. He throws a party hoping she will show up. Since Sam is popular she shows up to every party. When she shows up Kent is actually surprised. He tries to talk to her but he doesn't know what to say. For the the first time, he is actually nervous to talk to her.
2. During the party Juliet Skyes comes in and stands in the doorway staring at Sam and her friends. She curses at every one of them so they assail her by pushing her and dumping alcohol on her. She runs off, and Sam and her friends are relieved. Sam couldn't control herself while she pushed Juliet she just felt lots of anger come out of her, and she also felt nervous because everyone was watching her.
3. After Sam's boyfriend gets drunk, Sam wants to leave. She asks her friends and they are all on their way. Ally and Elody were fighting in the back seat while Lindsay was driving. (Lindsay wasn't ever a very good driver.) Ally bumps Lindsay's cigarette out of her mouth and it lands on her seat she swipes it off quickly, not looking at the road. Lindsay and Sam look at the road and just see something white. Lindsay yells something but it sounded kind of like sit.
4. They crash into the white thing and Sam wonders "Is this what death feels like?" (Oliver 80) She feels herself and the car split into two. Later on they learned that in the crash the passenger seat got the most impact.
5. Sam feels a "screaming pain" and then totally blacks out she doesn't feel anything, she is painless. She has no idea what is going on. Then she thinks about everything that she has done in her life that were meaningful to her.
"What if you only had one day to live?"
"What would you do?"
"How far would you go to save your own life?"
Sam is one of the most popular girls in school. She does things without thinking of the consequences or others. She only thinks of her friends and her boyfriend. Later on she turns into a whole different person and learns what life really means, how precious every second is and who she really is and meant to be.
Lindsay, Elody, and Ally
Lindsay, Elody, and Ally are Sam's best friends. Lindsay is the leader, and acts like she isn't afraid of anything. She is the most popular and made Sam who she is. Elody and Ally don't get along very well and just go with everything Lindsay says because they don't want to get in a fight.
Rob is Sam's boyfriend who has never really liked her. He just wanted her as a girlfriend because she is popular. She soon starts to realize that he is fake.
Kent is one of Sam's oldest friends and one of the best. He has always been there when she falls, but once Sam became popular and friends with Lindsay she forgot about him and he got really wierd. Later on in the story, Sam realizes how much fun she has been missing without him.
Juliet is an outcast who has been called pschyco and freak for most of her life. On February 12, she commits suicide, and at the end Sam realizes how important Juliet is in her life.