Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Integumentary System Brochure
Transcript of Integumentary System Brochure
By: Jala Thomas Introduction What is the Integumentary system? -The Integumentary System consists of one of the largest organs in our body, the skin.
-also contains hair, nails, oil and sweat glands, and includes all nerves. -makes up 12-15% of our total body weight Layers of the skin Way to remember: Eat (Epidermis) Doughnuts (Dermis) Hourly (Hypodermis) Disorders How to prevent skin damage -Wear long sleeve shirts and pants(minimize skin exposure)
•When working outdoors, wear a hat with a brim.
-Use a high sun protection factor (SPF) sunscreen.
-Wear gloves when handling chemicals.
-When possible, use tools to handle hazardous substances instead of your hands. What are its functions?
Hair: used for protection, and sensing light touch (ex: nerves)
Nails: used for grasping and handing of small materials (ex: hands)
Glands: regulate body temperature
(ex: hypothalamus gland)
Skin: makes Vitamin D, absorbs water-soluble molecules and excretes water and sweat, and heals wounds.(ex: Vitamin D also comes from the sun.)
Sun and the skin - Skin damage can be caused from overexposure to ultraviolet(UV) radiation from the sun. -Each of the following effects are signs of damages to the skin: wrinkles, freckles/sun spots, sun tans, sun burns, and also eye damage (cataracts, Retinal damage, and snowblindness).
-Skin cancers: 90% of skin cancers are caused by the sun.
-Types of skin cancers include:
-Melanoma Mitosis 1. interphase: growth stage: no divison; producing ATP; chromatin present. 2. Prophase: nucleus disappears; chromosomes appear; nuclear membrane disappear; spindle fiber appears. 3. Metaphase: chromosomes line up on equator. 4.Anaphase: chromosomes separate and move to opposite poles.
5. Telophase: final stage; 2 new cells are formed; spindle disappears; nucleus and nuclear membrane reappear. -Disorder: a disturbance in physical or mental health or functions. Symptoms: can appear in texture, discoloration, and pigmentation.
-abnormality in the hair(change on texture, distribution, or amount) -change in formation and texture(nails) -various skin diseases require a detailed history, skin examination, and diagnostic tests
Treatments: over the counter medicine, staying moisturized,cream,etc.