Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Culture
*Come home for lunch and siesta
*Stay out late at night
*All take a month of vacations
*Olive Oil & Garlic
*Ham (Pig's Leg)
-Women During Franco (1939-1975)
*No contraception or abortions
*Married women couldn't hold jobs
*Strongly discouraged from University
*Globalization changed women roles
*Have all the rights denied above
*Pop Music (USA, Reggaton, Rock)
*like to be fashion forwarded
*Telanovelas (Soap Operas)
Spain has a serious case of
-Was once a kingdom
- Galicians are of Celtic origins
*Form of dance is similar to
*Eat a lot of sea food
*Tarta de Santiago
-In 1714 Catalonia fell under Spanish rule, and today they strive to become independent once again.
*Castell (a symbol of region pride)
*bread and pasta
*Pa amb tomàquet
-Andalucia was apart of the Islamic Empire from 711 C.E.-1492 C.E.
*Folk music from this region pulls a lot from Arab sounds.
*Feria de Sevilla
*Trajes de Flamenco
-Spanish is the official language of Spain
-in 2005 89% of Spaniards spoke Spanish as their native language, 9% spoke Catalan, 5% spoke Galician, 1% spoke Basque
-Five officially recognized languages in Spain, and three recognized but not officially (Aragonese, Asturian, Leoneses).
-Spanish was developed in the Iberian peninsula and came out of common Latin after the collapse of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, because of the contact Spanish-speaking people had with the Basque Kingdom and the Islamic Empire many words have been taken from both Basque and Arabic.
Spanish (Indo-European, Romance)
Aranese (Indo- European, Romance, Gascon)
Catalan (Indo -European, Romance, Catalan)
Galician (Indo -European, Romance, Galician) Latin
origin with Germanic and Celtic words. Portuguese
came out of Galician.
- Roman Catholics are the largest religious group in Spain. (70.9%)
*The Holy Bible
- A large portion of the population does not identify
with a religious group. (24.1%)
-Islam is the second largest religious group in Spain.
- Judaism is the third largest religious groups in Spain.
- Protestantism are the fourth largest religious group in Spain.
- While Catholicisms is the largest religious group in Spain, the Spanish government has legalized same sex marriages.
- Today the Catholic Church is starting to become more involved in politics.
- Why is Spain so Catholic?
* In 711 the Reconquista of Spain began. This was when the Catholics reconquered the land the Moors had taken from them 800 years. In 1492 Ferdinand and Isabella gained control of the entire peninsula.
* The Spanish Inquisition under the rule of Ferdinand and Isabella during the 1400s forced non-Catholics to convert to orthodox Catholicism and strictly enforce the laws of the Roman Catholic church. Punishing those who did not practice it correctly.
*During Franco's rule Roman Catholicism was the national religion and isolated the country. (1939-1975)
-Each town has their own saint and will hold festivals honoring them.
-Día De Tú Santo, every day of the year honors a different Saint and the Day of the Saint that shares a name with person who is named after the Saint.
-Semana Santa, holy week before Easter
- Language (Gallego)
*80% of people in Galicia speak it
-Cruceiros are crosses put at crossroads to mark a religious event, person, etc.
-rainy region of Spain;similar to Ireland; agricultural region
-Spain regional pride supersedes national pride.
-This make the question of ethnicity tricky. Some people claim regional ethnicity rather than saying they are Spanish.
-From 2000-2010 Spain had the second highest net in migration after the USA.
-The biggest immigrant group in Spain is from Romania, then Morocco, followed by the United Kingdom.
-Many immigrants also come from South America
-Most immigrants go to Spain for economic improvement.
-One ethnic conflict in Spain is the Basque separatist movement. (ETA)
- Gitanos (Gypsies) are often looked down upon and discriminated against because they present the lowest socio-economic class in Spain, and are involved in the drug trade. (25% of women in prison are Gitanas serving for drug trafficking)
-Bull Fighting has been banned from Catalonia
- Architects like Antoni Gaudi have changed the cultural landscape of Barcelona, making Catalan modernism (curved lines, plant motifs, colorful) visible on its city streets.
Santiago de Composela
(where St James is buried)
Pilgrimage El Camino (the Way)
La Sagrada Familia by Antoni Gaudi