Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Cellular Respiration
Glycolysis Diagram Process
The kreb cycle starts when pyruvate is being moved to the interior of the mitochondria. During this time a microenzyme removes one carbon and two oxygen form each molecule by doing this a two carbon sugar is produced (aceytl CoA). This is what will enter the cycle. The cycle itself is steps that will oxidize the aceytl CoA. After two completions of the cycle 6 NADH, 2 ATP, and 2 FHDA2 molecules will be made.
Electron transport chain
Electron Transport Chain is a series of proteins built into the mitochondrial membrane that transport protein and enzymes. Electrons are transported down the chain pumping H+ to create H+ gradient. It creates 36 ATP from 1 glucose molecule and only in the process of oxygen called aerobic respiration.
Processes of Cellular Respiration
What is Cellular Respiration, Glycolysis, the Krebs Cycle, and the Electron Transport chain ?
- Glycolysis, the Krebs Cycle, and the Electron Transport chain makes up Cellular Respiration.
- Cellular Respiration takes place in the mitochondria.
- Both the Glycolysis and Krebs Cycle break down sugar and oxygen to release stored energy. As a result carbon dioxide and water becomes it's products.
- Animal and Plant cell uses this process.
- Cellular Respiration is a catabolic process meaning it breaks down polymers into smaller, more manageable pieces.
- The goal of cellular respiration is to take carbohydrates, and break them apart to form glucose molecules. Then use the glucose to produce ATP molecules.
Cellular Respiration Formula
602+C6 H12 06 =
This process occurs in the cytosol of the cell and can proceed regardless of the presence of oxygen.
In the first step, energy is used to phosphorylate the 6-carbon glucose molecules. The first reaction breaks molecule of glucose in half to make two molecules of pyruvic acid.
The next thing that occurs is the production of ATP. In order to do that two pre-existing ATP molecules are used. A phosphate is then taken from ATP which will become ADP.
The reaction of glycolysis produces and net gain 2 ATP molecules and 2 NADH. Which is a total of 4 ADP and ATP in both sides.
This does not seem like a lot but this is done 1000's of times per millisecond so it makes a large amount of energy.
Cellular Respiration Video
Kreb's Cycle Diagram
This cycle is the key to converting food into energy. It goes through many steps but basically leading to acetyl-CoA forming citric acid. This acid loses energy as carbon dioxide, GTP, NADH, and FADH2 and then produces ATP.
Glycolysis is the first process in Cellular Respiration. It involves breaking down glucose molecules from carbohydrates into molecules of pyruvate, which will continue on to the Krebs Cycle.
In conclusion, Cellular Respiration is a set of processes that breaks down a macro-molecule, in which contains three stages:
* Glycolysis - produces 2 ATPs, doesn't require oxygen (anaerobic), and occurs in cytoplasm
* the Kreb's cycle - occurs at center of mitochondria, assorts 3 carbon molecules from glycolysis into carbon dioxide and water, also produces 2 ATPs, and increases the amount of H+ and electrons
* and the Electron Transport Chain - occurs in inner membrane of mitochondria, is aerobic (requires oxygen), transports protein and enzymes, creates a total of about 34 ATPs
Also the formula for this respiration again is 6 O2 + C6 H12 O6 = 6 co2 + 6 H2o + ENERGY which basically the opposite of photosynthesis.
1 6C Sugars --> 2 3C Sugars