Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Paraphrasing
2. The definition of Paraphrasing
3. How to find the main idea of the text in order to paraphrase it By the End, You will Know..... What is Paraphrasing??? PARAPHRASING IS…
- A rewriting of text in your own words
- Used to clarify meaning
- Used to shorten a longer statement but keeps the main ideas - Read the passage carefully
- Decide the main ideas of the passage
- Highlight important words or phrases
- Put the main points in your own words So How Do We Do It? Example 1 Ancient Egyptians believed that Osiris, a good and wise king, was the first pharaoh. He spread knowledge to other parts of the world, while his wife, Isis, ruled Egypt in his place. Paraphrasing the example Use the passage below and highlight the main ideas. Ancient Egyptians believed that Osiris, a good and wise king, was the first pharaoh. He spread knowledge to other parts of the world, while his wife, Isis, ruled Egypt in his place. So you paraphrase statement might look like this ·King Osiris was the first pharaoh and spread knowledge. Queen Isis ruled Egypt when he was gone. EXAMPLE 2 In 1857, a British expedition led by Richard Burton and John Speke set out to find the great lakes shown on Ptolemy’s map. After reaching Lake Tanganyika, the two men split up because Burton was ill. What are the main points in this selection? Which number is the best one to use for paraphrasing? 1.Richard Burton and his friend looked for the great lakes shown on Ptolemy’s map. The men split up.2. In 1857, Richard Burton and John Speke searched for the great lakes on Ptolemy’s map, but they had to split up when Burton was ill.3. Two men from Britain looked for the great lakes but had to split up because one was ill Why would you choose this one over the rest? YOUR TURN! Now that you have learned what paraphrasing is its time to put it to the test. Remember:
- Read the passage carefully - Find the main ideas - Highlight important words or phrases- Put the main points in your own words Example 3 Look at the passage below. Using the instructions on your notes complete the steps for paraphrasing. Upon returning home, Osiris was murdered by his evil brother Set, who cut Osiris’s body into pieces and dumped it in the Nile River. Isis found the body and put it back together by winding linen bandages around it. Example 4 Speke discovered Victoria Nyanza and was convinced that the White Nile Flowed from it. A second expedition proved him right when he found the outlet of the Nile at a waterfall, which he named Ripon Falls. YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THIS LESSON ON PARAPHRASING!
REMEMBER PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! CONGRATULATIONS!