Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of PROGRESS PLACE
If we lack personal experiences, of the challenges people we are working with are experiencing, can we still work with them?
If so, what are some strategies to ensure we will be capable of creating a strong relationship?
Schedule of presentation
1. Description of Progress Place & Role (3 minutes) Husna
2. Skit (1 minute) Anna & Husna
3. Deconstruct the skit (What would you do?) (3 minutes) Husna
4. Skit finishes (1 min) Anna & Husna
5. Deconstruction (8 minutes) Husna
6. Question - Lived experience (3 min) Anna
7. Challenge & resistance (8 minutes) Anna
8. Reconstruction & Mindfulness Meditation (10 minutes) Cassandra
Expectations of clients
HELPER - RECEIVER
Binaries (either or)
Education in relation to helper
ENTITLEMENT & PROFESSIONALISM
Expectations of clients
Who is the expert?
"Challenge involves the identification of both the existence and operation of discourses and that which is hidden, glossed over or assumed" (Fook, 2002, p.95).
"By treating an account as a discourse which is presented from a particular position, we have recognized that there might be other ways of seeing it which are not presented. So the very process of deconstruction is in itself an act of resistance, since it assumed a questioning of prevailing perspectives" (Fook 2002, p.95).
Helper - Receiver
Who is qualified?
Client's actions as resistance?
POWER & PRIVILEGE
Insights on Interpersonal Dynamics
Carrying your knowledge Bundle
Attending to the present moment fully, on purpose, non-judgementally
Allows you to act with purpose, composure, and equanimity in stressful situations
InSIGHTS ON INTERPERSONAL
Being aware of, reflecting upon, and constantly working to improve relationships
Self-Awareness surrounding triggers, difficult topics, discomforting situations
Being aware of your environment, your current role, your current emotional state and the emotional state of those around you
Build upon and carry with you the knowledge you hold
Made of ongoing training, education, culture, community, colonialism, decolonization, personal history
Develop your capacity in spirit, heart, mind & body (Witchitowin, 2009)
WHAT ARE SOME STRATEGIES YOU HAVE TO STAY PRESENT/ KEEP YOUR MIND CLEAR?
WHAT ARE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS YOU KEEP IN YOUR KNOWLEDGE BUNDLE?
Critique of student's qualification
Who is a student?
Student vs. Member
Lack of lived experience
"I know who is most qualified"
Living with parents
Graduating and moving forward
Mentally healthy and Able-bodied
Mental Health and Addictions experience
"I dare say everyone in this room has stories of both oppression and privilege. How do we dig down to find, not uncrackable, unmovable rhetoric, but the concrete daily material, emotional, and spiritual realities of privilege and oppression on this planet rife with injustice?"
WHO IS A STUDENT?