Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Thai Culture
To inform modern students about Thai culture
Increase awareness about Thai heritage and preservation
What is Thai game ?
Thai games is a traditional play that passed down from generation to generation. Some have rules some may not as well as song of the games. Thai game also can have a dancing while playing for more excitement which we can categorize in to 4 kinds according to 4 regions of Thailand.
Does each part of Thailand has shared the common games ?
Since each region has a difference in language, tradition, culture, surrounding, beliefs so that makes rules, toys or songs different but generally it is similar.
Ta-pho-pun-sri Northeastern Boat racing
Toey or lin
Southern E- shud
Any short stick for grabbing and pulling
How to play In chuck-ka-yer we divide player into 2 teams equally. After two teams are formed then we draw a borderline which members of team must stay behind it in a single line. If women is the first member of the line we called “mae-luck” in the other hand if men are the first menber of the line we called “por-luck”. Por-luck and mae-luck will grab a stick together with straight arm and in the position of drawing. Other members of the team will grab the member who stay in front hip and help their team fight with the opponent’s resistance. The direction of the stick must be in parallel to the borderline. The rules is that each team must try to draw opponent off the borderline into their line.
5 thumb big round stones
How to play The game has 9 levels which is mark-neung, mark-song, mark-sam, mark-si, mark-jub, mark-lek-yai, mark-kai, mark-kang, mark-larn. First the player must set the level that the game should end because of each level will increase the difficulty however the level is depending on decision and skill of the players but the exception is no matter how many levels are set but the final level must end with mark-larn. The rules is one will throw stone up and while it is in the air, the player must pick stone on the ground without touching nearby stone or displace them. The amount of stone that pick or throw is according to the difficulty of the level. Once player break the rules then others will take turns.
The winner is the one who can have more stones in the mark-larn level. Because of the each level that the player set has no score but they must pass those level to reach mark-larn level in order to score. Note that every time that play the game the last level must end with mark-larn. 9 Levels
1. Mark-neung start with cast all stones in player’s hand then choose one of them and throw in the air. While it is in the air, player must pick one of the rest stones on the ground one by one without touching other stones then must catch the one that is thrown. Repeat this until there are no stones.
2. Mark-song is like Mark-neung but instead of pick one stone, player must pick two stones at each time.
3. Mark-sam is three stones.
4. Mark-si is 4 stones
5. Mark-jub is same as Mark-si but when player catch the stone he or she must catch with the gap between thumb and pointing finger.
6. Mark-lek-yai First, player must cast stones on the ground and then opponent will observe whether stones are close to each other or not. If the stones are lay on the ground closely then the opponent will say “lek”. That means player must pick the stones one by one like Mark-neung this will be hard because the nearby stones will be disturbed easily but on the opposite if the stones are scattered on the ground, the opponent will say “yai” then player must play as Mark-si level which it will be hard to play. Player must play as they say otherwise opponents will take turns.
7. Mark-kai Player will throw one stone in the air while other 4 stones are in the hand. In meanwhile, he or she must release one of them in the hand and collect it back and catch the falling stone at the same time.
8. Mark-kang once player cast stones on the ground. The opponent will choose two stones out of four which in between other two stones then player must pick the them while throwing one stone in the air without disturbing nearby stones.
9. Mark-larn there are 2 ways to play this level
First, put 5 stones on player’s forehand then suddenly throw all of them in the air in meanwhile switch side to catch by backhand. And again throw the remaining stone on the backhand up in the air and catch them by forehand then score will be count as amount of stone that remain in player’s hand.
Second way is the easier way to play Mark-larn. First place all 5 stones on the backhand then throw them up and catch them. Toak-take runing Equipment
Two bamboo stick with groove for inserting foot.
How to play
Player will stand on the groove of two bamboo sticks and race by walking on the bamboo.
2 wood sheets
Rope for fasten foot to the sheets
Rua-bok racing How to play
Divided players into two team, 2-5 persons each team. Players in the team place their feet on the wood sheet then tie with rope. This game need a unity to beat the opponent. Equipment
Len-pong-parng How to play
First we must choose pong-parng(the one who is blindfold) by paper scissor hammer(pao-ying-choop) After we have pong-parng already, the rest will hold each other hand to form circle with pong-parng inside. They will sing pong-parng song walking around in circle 1-3 times then sit down. Pong-parng will randomly come to someone and guess who is he or she by touching or remembering their voice so he or she must not reveal themselves. If pong-parng is correct, he or she will be the next pong-parng. Equipment
Bei (round flat rock) Bei-khi-kong How to play
1. dig a hole about the rock big
2. set the throwing point away from the hole about 5 meter
3. Player must throw the rock and let it land near at the hole as much as he or she could. If possible into the hole.
4. The nearest player will throw the rock at the farer player. If it hit that player, he or she could ride on the back of that player otherwise he or she could return the shot back to the thrower. Equipment
Bamboo and look-pla(fruit like ma-kue-puang) How to play
Put look-pla in the bamboo tube then use the rounded one to tamp. The pressure inside the tube will push the fruit off the bamboo flask. Making toy
1. cut a bamboo flask in to 25 cm long. We called “bork-chub-pong”
2. bring another bamboo flask and rounded it into the size of the first tube about 40 cm long. Chup-porng How to play
The player will place their own rubber band on the ground away from other player about 1 foot then blow the rubber band and switch side. Whose band can stay on the top of the other, he or she is the winner.
A rubber band Pao-gob This is the ugly truth like any other Thai tradition. It will keep on exist and persistence if we, Thai, still preserve them. As time goes by, life style has tremendously changes from the past. Regretfully that in present has both useful and useless toys and games come instead of the old-fashioned games, which need no toys or use toys from nature creation. The new technology games make children unhealthy, and myopia. At all events, the parents should select something more value and benefits to their children.
Thai game is a part of original Thai folk culture. Moreover, It also reflects life, thoughts, and belief of local people from the past to present. And since it just a games for children, which some adult might not seen its importance, except just the enjoyment for children. In addition, they think some Thai game is danger and incubation gambling habit. If people analyze it deeper, they will know the true value of Thai game. The value is as follow. The value of Thai game
Make children more observant, cleverness, and intelligence
Teach children to follow the rules
Responsibility Psychical benefits
There are so many amusement and lyrics for amusement that says about the rice farming, which is the main occupation for Thai people since old days until now. This amusement called ri-ri-kao-sarn. Besides the rice farming, there also another game that simulate the way how Thai folk people trade it called fish trade game . Thai amusement reflects the livelihood of Thai folk people Some amusement shows us the way Thai people believe in black magic such as some amusement invite invoker. In the north-eastern part of Thailand, there is an amusement that reflects many beliefs of Thai people for instance the rain praying. Thai amusement reflects the belief of Thai folk people Thai amusement is fading away from our society THANK YOU