Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Add to your faith virtue and knowledge
Transcript of Add to your faith virtue and knowledge
charity "For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1 v 8) Benefits of sound building "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance ... (Galatians 5 v 22-23) Similar to the fruits of the spirit VIRTUE * "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises [virtues AV Margin] of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light ..." (* 1 Peter 2 v 9) We should strive to fill ourselves with the virtues of the Lord Jesus Christ Not a self-righteous virtue like the Jews, but virtue based on the righteousness of God. The Jews made this mistake! "For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God." (Romans 10 v 3) "And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin ..." (Exodus 34 v 6-7) The virtues of almighty God were declared to Moses "Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: but as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." (1 Peter 1 v 13-16) Our aim should be to become more and more like our maker * "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (* Philippians 4 v 8) Paul defines a few virtues "... add to your faith virtue;
and to virtue knowledge ..." Knowledge is a vital - if slow-growing attribute to add
God expects us to grow in the truth
He wants us to move on beyond first principles "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen." (2 Peter 3 v 18)
" And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him..." (Colossians 3 v 10) "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee ..." (Hosea 4 v 6) The consequences of a lack of knowledge are dire We must develop knowledge:
- not for knowledge's sake, but to
- develop wisdom
- appreciate divine ways
- discern good and evil It's no good feeding only on the milk of the word "For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5 v 13-14) "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ ..." (Philippians 3 v 8) Nothing compares with a knowledge of Christ "To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins" (Luke 1 v 77) This knowledge is closely related to the remission of sins and consequent salvation from death. Zacharias prophesied that John the Baptist was - "Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it ..." (Psalm 127 v 1) "And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another. (Romans 15 v 14) Knowledge helps keep the house of God in order "And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. (Ephesians 3 v 19) The ultimate reward for gaining true knowledge: filled with the fulness of God "In whom (God and Jesus) are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Colossians 2 v 3) Only in God and Jesus do we find wisdom and knowledge Conclusion 2 Peter 1 v 1-9
"Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, according as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge ... "... and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins." Building the House of God "Add"
Greek word used here for "add" found five times in NT
Once translated "add" in 2 Peter 1 v 5
Four times translated "minister"
2 Corinthians 9 v 10 *
Galatians 3 v 5
Colossians 2 v 19
2 Peter 1 v 11 * Has the meaning:
- to fully furnish
- to minister
- to nourish "... built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. (Ephesians 2 v 20-22) Christendom Astray (Robert Roberts) "Nothing will serve a man in the end but an exact knowledge of the will of God as contained in the scriptures and faithfully carrying out the same." Christadelphian Instructor (Robert Roberts) "Salvation depends upon a full and true knowledge of God
and of Jesus, God's son." "add to your faith virtue ("moral excellence" NASV)
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10 v 17) Godly virtue comes from reading God's word, believing God's word and obeying God's word "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 3 v 9-11) "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously; who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. (1 Peter 2 v 21-25) The character of Jesus is our perfect example * "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;) (* 2 Corinthians 9 v 8-10) * "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (* 2 Peter 1 v 11) Minister = add in abundance Add in abundance Greek word used here appears five times in NT
= praise; virtue; intrinsic or attributed excellence
2 Peter 1 v 3, 5 (twice in v 5)
Philippians 4 v 8 *
1 Peter 2 v 9 * Greek word used here for knowledge appears 29 times in the NT
= knowing, knowledge, science Peter writes knowing he is soon to die "Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. Written to those in the truth, emphasising how precious faith is." (2 Peter 1 v 13-14) "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."
(2 Peter 3 v 18) "Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. (John 6 v 27-29) "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. (Ephesians 2 v 19-22) 2 Peter 1 v 5