Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Online journalism (abridged)
Transcript of Online journalism (abridged)
We don't check articles before we publish them! Are we insane?
We sit on stories for the mags, so the site is systematically out of date
Our long articles (i.e. features) are a chore to read
We don't engage with our readers
Our emails are an afterthought
So are our RSS feeds
But our biggest problem? It's just text We could be doing so much more Our definition of journalism is too narrow these are obvious revenue opportunities, by the way Clue: it's not words information. Multimedia journalism http://www.citywire.co.uk/professional/-/extra/content/content.aspx?ID=389332 audio timeline images http://www.citywire.co.uk/personal/-/extra/content/content.aspx?ID=388576 documents UK Financial regulation: After the crisis Hector Sants speech or anything Data journalism Is data journalism? It's a hot topic among journalists right now: Is data journalism? Is it journalism to publish a raw database? Here, at last, is the definitive, two-part answer:
I hope my competitors waste their time arguing about this as
long as possible. 1.
2. Adrian Holovaty, founder of everyblock.com company results Comment is free... http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog economic data http://www.citywire.co.uk/adviser/-/extra/content/content.aspx?ID=389347 http://www.citywire.co.uk/personal/-/extra/content/content.aspx?ID=390775 in-depth research http://www.citywire.co.uk/personal/-/extra/content/content.aspx?ID=390789 Where to find data Public data - statistics.gov.uk, data.gov.uk, Bank of England, HM Treasury, DWP, F-pack...
Trade bodies e.g. IMA
Our own data There is no shortage of data What could we be doing right? Change the mindset - we are not just writers
Use our existing skills more effectively
Consider bringing in new skills But most importantly... The dreaded 'T' word Little or no investment required In progress Any Questions? Tables From this: http://www.citywire.co.uk/selector/-/news/other/content.aspx?ID=382090 http://www.citywire.co.uk/adviser/-/features/adviser-profiles/content.aspx?ID=390859 Or this: To this: http://www.citywire.co.uk/selector/-/newcits/news/content.aspx?ID=392998 But let's get
the basics first