Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Narrating Life Events
Transcript of Narrating Life Events
time Age: Use age to give an exact time when the event happened. Event: Mention an event that happened BEFORE the event you want to talk about. Year Example:
In 1985, he passed away. Time signs Indicating a Period of Time The sign LATER-ON is frequently used to indicate that an unspecified period of time elapsed between events. The same sign can be changed when you add non-manual signs. "cs" = Shortly afterwards LATER-ON can also be used with specific time signs. Specific time signs can be used alone to tell the time between events. You must sign these with raised eyebrows. It signals the beginning of the next event. When Clauses: Referring to Age What are the non-manual markers? 1. Raised eyebrows for the Clause
2. Head tilt Examples fs-JOSE AGE+5, ENTER DEAF-SCHOOL IX-loc ARIZONA. JOSE AGE+17, GRADUATE. fs-JOSE AGE+22, GRADUATE, TRANSFER fs-IOWA DEAF-SCHOOL. fs-jOSE OLD+33 OFFER-him #JOB, PRINCIPAL. fs-JOSE OLD+40, MARRIED AGAIN. fs-JOSE AGE+60, RETIRED. Create 5 Age When Clauses about yourself. Write them down and practice signing them. When Clauses: Referring to Other Events Use one event to refer to another. Examples fs-JOSE GRADUATE GALLAUDET, TRANSFER fs-IOWA DEAF-SCHOOL. fs-JOSE FALL-IN-LOVE, GO-STEADY, 4+YEAR MARRIED. THEY-TWO BUY HOUSE, LATER-ON SON BORN. Create 5 When Clauses referring to other events about yourself. Write them down and Practice signing. When Clauses: by year The year comes first, then the event. 1920, fs-jOSE BORN. 1955, WIFE DIED. Telling About Life Events without When Clauses By Year Word Order:
Person, Event, Year Examples JOSE GRADUATE GALLAUDET 1942. JOSE START TEACHING 1942. JOSE SON BORN 1951. Sequencing Events Use a backwards head tilt between two events. It functions like a comma. Examples fs-JOSE ENTER GALLAUDET, GO-UP-YEARS, GRADUATE. fs-JOSE MEET, FALL-IN-LOVE, GO-STEADY, MARRIED. ME GRADUATE COLLEGE, TRAVEL "around", #BACK ARRIVE, START WORK. Notice that the events are related! Create 5 examples of your own. Unexpected Changes Word Order:
event, time, WRONG, change or result Examples Use the sign WRONG to show an unexpected change. WORK TWO-MONTHS, WRONG, LAID-OFF. BUY HOUSE, LATER-ON, WRONG, BURN-DOWN. Create your own examples using the following topics:
Getting a new car
Getting a new dog
Moving out of parents' home
Traveling overseas EX: Jose married and had 5 children. 1. The When Clause itself is ALWAYS at the beginning. (non-manuals = raised eyebrows, head tilt). *Tell WHEN something happened. 2. Tell the event (eyebrows and head go back to neutral position). *You tell what happened. Event Example:
Right after graduation, I got married. Age Example:
When I was four, I started Kindergarten. Year: Use the year to tell when the event occurred. "mm" = a while later "open mouth" = a long time later Ex: Paul married shortly after graduating college. Ex: Paul's wife died a while after he married. Ex: Paul's kids grew up and a long time later, Paul died. Ex: Jane met her boyfriend in college. Five years later, she got married. Ex: Jane met her boyfriend in college. Five years later, she got married. When Jose was 5 years old, he entered the Arizona School for the Deaf. Jose graduated when he was 17 years old. Jose graduated at age 22 and then transferred to the Iowa School for the Deaf. Jose retired at age 60. Jose graduated from Gallaudet and then transferred to the Iowa School for the Deaf. Jose fell in love, dated, and married four years later. They bought a house and had a son later on. Jose was born in 1920. His wife died in 1953. Create 5 When Clauses by Year. Write them down and practice signing them. How do we write them? In 1942, Jose graduated from Gallaudet. Jose started teaching in 1942. Jose’s son was born in 1951. Jose entered Gallaudet, stayed there, and graduated. Jose met someone, fell in love, dated, and married. I graduated college, traveled, came back and started working. I worked two months and was suddenly laid-off. I bought a house and some time later, it suddenly burned down.